cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D Only Overwrites; Doesn't Keep Multiple Sets

pnewell
Level 4
Good day,

I recently implemented BE 12.5 on a new server (I was running 11d on an old one) and I do a Backup-To-Disk job for my Exchange server then have it copy to tape after the B2D job runs.  There is an issue though, in that the B2D job overwrites the existing backup set on the B2D volume after each job.  Interestingly, the B2D job on the old server was able to keep three backup sets at a time.

The job is set to "Overwrite" instead of  "Append", but so was the old old.  As a matter of fact, I copied all of the settings from the old job to the new one, but for whatever reason it is not working as I expected.  I also setup the Device and Media sections the same way as the old one, but still no go.

Does anyone have any thoughts here?  It very well likely may be that the old one was setup incorrectly and perhaps some sort of glitch or bug allowed it to run the way it was...

Thanks in advance!
-Paul
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
and it looks like I'll need to set that to Full and set the protection time to 1 day

The Global option can be either Full or Partial, and the OPP  should be whatever meets your business needs. Just make sure you set it short enought so the the disk won't fill up

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Not applicable
Please click on the media tab and than on the media set which is being used for the job

right click on the media set  increase the overwrite protection period to the days eg if u wana protect the data for 3 days make it as three days so it will not overwite the existing B2D created for the 3 days as per need change it and m sure this issue should be resolved by this

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Make sure the the overwrite protection level is not set to None
Tools | Option | Media management 
Refer the following document which will give you better understanding about the issue

pnewell
Level 4
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions.
Again, it's odd as the Media Management is set to "None" on both servers and the Overwrite Protection Period is set to 4 hours.
I kinda thought it might have had something to do with the Overwrite Protection Period, so I'll give that a shot.

RahulG - It is indeed set to none.  I read about it a bit in the BE Win Admin Guide (the 1753 page PDF) and it looks like I'll need to set that to Full and set the protection time to 1 day?

Thanks again, gents!

-Paul

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
and it looks like I'll need to set that to Full and set the protection time to 1 day

The Global option can be either Full or Partial, and the OPP  should be whatever meets your business needs. Just make sure you set it short enought so the the disk won't fill up

Not applicable
Thats the issue overwrite protection period is set to 4 hours that means next time if u run a job after 4 hours completion of the job the data which is been written on the media is not overwrite protected and hence data is overwritten,

so if u wana preserve data for the 3 backup jobs Eg monday tuesday and wensday  and u want monday data should be overwritten by the thursday job set the overwrite protection period to 3 days,

Let me know if this answers ur question

pnewell
Level 4

I'm not really grasping the differences between Full & Partial; is the only real difference that Partial allows overwritting of Imported media and Scratch media, whereas Full only allows overwriting Scratch media?  I understand both allow for Allocated media once its OPP has expired.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Also make sure the option to overwrite Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media contained in the targeted media set is selected
  under Tools | option | Media management

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Rahul

Tha problem with this is that it will fill the disk before reusing  ANY  BKF files

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

is the only real difference that Partial allows overwritting of Imported media and Scratch media, whereas Full only allows overwriting Scratch media?

Correct.

if you never plan to use tapes created on another Media Server, either will work fine.  I used to run a shop with 6 media servers, so had to  be sure that I had FULL speficied to prevent accidental overwrites.  ( I sometimes had multiple restores created on one media server running at the same time)

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
but it is overwriting the bkf file every time he runs the backup ...so he can either increase the overwrite protection period or  make the above setting so that it does not overwrite the bkf file on the second day

pnewell
Level 4

Good day gentlemen,

Looks like I'm all set!  I did need to set the OPP to three days and I set the Media overwrite protection level to Partial.
It looks like it's creating two .BKF files each night; one is about 8GB and the other is 350MB (total of six .BKFs right now; they'll begin to overwrite tonight, correct?).  I'm not sure why it's making two files, but I have enough room for them.
My thought is that it may have to do with the fact that after the B2D I have it run a copy job and copies the backup to an LTO2 tape.  Or maybe it's just the way BE does it.

Thanks again to all three of you for your time and support!
Enjoy the weekend!

-Paul

pnewell
Level 4
Hi Guys,
Looks like the .BKF files are not being overwritten.  I have the media management section set to "Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media contained in the targeted media set" is selected.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Looks like the .BKF files are not being overwritten. I have the media management section set to "Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media contained in the targeted media set" is selected.

As I responded to Rahul, with that option selected, regardless of what you specify for OPP, BackupExec will continue to create new BKF files until the disk is full

Change it to "Select overwriteable media in the target media set before scratchm and you should be good from here out

pnewell
Level 4
Hi Ken,
I just made the change ("Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media"); we'll see how she flies tonight.

Thanks again!

-Paul

pnewell
Level 4
Hi Ken,
Looks like that did the trick; the oldest one was overwritten last night.

I'll probably need to delete one 'set' of them, correct?  Seeing as how there are four pairs of .BKFs, yet only three directories that have backed-up data, my thought is that it will overwrite all four pairs of .BKFs (even thought it's keeping three backup sets).

Thanks again!

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
I Guess I was right .(Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media) that did the trick  Cheers !

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
my thought is that it will overwrite all four pairs of .BKFs (even thought it's keeping three backup sets).

Sounds right to me, so you will wind up keeping four sets altogether