cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D and Media Sets

Brian_Blater
Level 2
I am using BE for SBS 11d and have a question about media sets.

We use 3 NAS devices for backup and these devices are rotated on a weekly basis so only 1 NAS device is on the network at one time. On each device I create a B2D Folder called "Weekly Full". So, I now have 3 B2D folders listed in devices (1 for each NAS). If I create a backup job I can select one of those folders as the media. But if that device is not on the network the job will fail. So, I would have to create a job for each folder.

With tape media I can create a media set and add specific tapes to the media set and then create a backup job using the media set to select which ever tape is on-line. However, I don't see any way to add a B2D folder to a media set. Can this be done? If not, how can I accomplish the same as a media set but using B2D folder as the media?

Thanks for your help.
Brian
4 REPLIES 4

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

In Backup Exec if you click on the media tab > and then right click on the backup to disk folder and select move to media set

Thanks

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Create a drive pool (Call it "Weekly Fulls" - or what ever) that contains all three B2D folders. Then point your jobs atthe Pool rather than at a specific device Backup exec should write to whatever B2D folder happens to be mountedMessage was edited by:
Ken Putnam

Brian_Blater
Level 2
Ok, I've created the Device Pool and added the B2D folders to this pool. However, a small issue. I'm using two NAS devices (say NAS1 and NAS2). Only one NAS device is connected to the network and online at a time (the other is offsite). Say this week I'm using NAS1, NAS2 is offline. Backups are going to NAS1. On the weekend NAS1 is taken off the network and NAS2 is put on the network. On Monday, the job fails because now both are listed as offline in BE. Manual intervention is required to put NAS2 online. Is there a way to have BE check both offline devices automatically to see if one of the devices in the pool is now online? Let me explain why. This setup will be used at remote project offices that may not have technical staff onboard. We would then train the Office Manager how to remove one device from the network and attach the other, but we would rather not have the person login to the server and have to make changes to BE.

Thanks,
Brian

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
I think the easiest way to accomplish Backup Exec automatically discovering which device is back online is to schedule a service restart using Windows scheduler and a batch file to stop and restart the Backup Exec Services.
When the services start, it will recheck what devices are available and bring those online.
Hope this helps.