cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D going offline at random intervals

CASW_Tech
Level 4

We have Buffalo NAS units that we use for B2D. We currently run Backup Exec 12.5 on Windows Server 2003 Standard. Occasionally with no regularity that B2D folder will go offline. It is easy to remedy by simply right clicking and marking it as on line. However, it also happens on weekends when no one is in the office to resolve the issue and backups begin to fail. This is a MAJOR problem, and I would appreciate any workarounds/fixes.

Thank you,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CASW_Tech
Level 4

Well thank you all for your help. We figured out that by using the IP Address it resolved the issue. Just a heads up for anyone else that has this problem. For some reason the NAS don't create an entry in DNS which causes intermittent problems in BE because most B2D folders are setup using the Name instead of IP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Khue
Level 4
How do you have these NAS devices hooked up to the W2k3 Server? iSCSI or as a SMB/CIFS share?

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi CASW,
I understand you want to fix, but it ís also very important to inderstand why your NAS go offline? Is it an HW or SW?
Maybe you have something wrong with your network, Pay attencion on Khue, how NAs devies hooked up.
Regards,

JoaoMatos

CASW_Tech
Level 4

It is set up as a share. The device is still accessible via the network even though it shows as offline in BE.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

I take it you target all jobs to that device? If you're running a GFS policy, are your append/overwrite protection periods correct?
It might be placed offline if there is no space available on it.

Laters!

CASW_Tech
Level 4
We have 2 seperate, 1 for Exchange and the other for Home Folders. They are setup exactly alike. However, the exchange 1 goes offline alot more often.  It is also occasionally reading as low disk space. It's a 2TB NAS that has approx. 560GB of data, if that.
The overwrite period is set to 3 days. I checked every setting I can find and it all seems to be correct.

CASW_Tech
Level 4

Well thank you all for your help. We figured out that by using the IP Address it resolved the issue. Just a heads up for anyone else that has this problem. For some reason the NAS don't create an entry in DNS which causes intermittent problems in BE because most B2D folders are setup using the Name instead of IP.