cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BACKUP EXEC 2010 R2 & EXCHANGE 2003

sucomaster
Level 3

Hi,

I have a problem with backup exec 2010 and exchange 2003.

I have a W2K8 R2 server, with BE 2010 R2. I need to backup the mailboxes of one W2K3 SP2 server with Exchange 2003. All with the last updates.

When I start the backup, the agent stops and the backup fail. The error is:

Exchange server:

Reporting queued error: faulting application beremote.exe, version 13.0.4164.109, faulting module BEDSMBox.dll, version 13.0.4164.108, fault address 0x00026015.

Backup Exec server (obviously :(

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0000f04 - The media server could not connect to the remote computer. The remote computer may not be running the Backup Exec
Remote Agent for Windows/Linux. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-3844

But if i start the agent manually in the exchange server, before the backup exec fails, the backup works, but with transfers of 10 MB/min.

This is with all the Exchange 2003 servers.

Somebody can help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you performing Information Store backups (with or without GRT enabled)? OR are you using the legacy (old style) individual mailbox backup method?

Reason for question is we do have an internally documented issue with Legacy Mailbox backups crashing beremoet.exe that is due to have a public document written soon (the issue was only docuemented internally 2 days ago)

BTW as long as you have enough disk space GRT Information Store backups save a huge amount of time over Legacy Mailbox backups

1) The MAPI level Legacy Mailbox backup is a lot slower than an IS backup with GRT enabled

2) If you do a Legacy Mailbox backup for DR purposes you have to also do an Information Store backup (which adds to the backup time)

3) As long as you do the GRT IS backup to disk then the restore process is a lot quicker than the legacy mailbox

Yes there are some complications if you want your Exchange data on tape - Symantec suggest you backup to disk and then duplicate to tape for off-site DR purposes. Any individual mail item restores would then be from disk (so fast) and in the case of a DR you would be restoreing the complete IS from tape so not subject to staging the backup to disk first (which is the thing that slows down the tape based GRT restore)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

AmolB

What is the version of remote agent on the Exchange server ?

sucomaster
Level 3

I install the agent with the same Backup Exec 2010 R2 server.

Version: 13.0.4164

AmolB

The version of remote agent on exchange server needs to be 13.0.4164.109

same as the agent on the media server. 

sucomaster
Level 3

I have updated the agent at the same version, but the error continue with bdesmbox.dll

AmolB

Is there any error message in the event viewer of exchange server

sucomaster
Level 3

The error is the same.

I have updated the symantec backup server, and reinstall the agent in the exchange server.

Now, I have a beremote.exe file version 13.0.4164.109 and bedsmbox.dll version 13.0.4164.114.

Must be the same version? Where can I find the correct version?

Error Exchange server:

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 13.0.4164.109, faulting module BEDSMBox.dll, version 13.0.4164.114, fault address 0x000271a5.

Colin_Weaver

Are you performing Information Store backups (with or without GRT enabled)? OR are you using the legacy (old style) individual mailbox backup method?

Reason for question is we do have an internally documented issue with Legacy Mailbox backups crashing beremoet.exe that is due to have a public document written soon (the issue was only docuemented internally 2 days ago)

BTW as long as you have enough disk space GRT Information Store backups save a huge amount of time over Legacy Mailbox backups

1) The MAPI level Legacy Mailbox backup is a lot slower than an IS backup with GRT enabled

2) If you do a Legacy Mailbox backup for DR purposes you have to also do an Information Store backup (which adds to the backup time)

3) As long as you do the GRT IS backup to disk then the restore process is a lot quicker than the legacy mailbox

Yes there are some complications if you want your Exchange data on tape - Symantec suggest you backup to disk and then duplicate to tape for off-site DR purposes. Any individual mail item restores would then be from disk (so fast) and in the case of a DR you would be restoreing the complete IS from tape so not subject to staging the backup to disk first (which is the thing that slows down the tape based GRT restore)