cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BAckup to disk --- how to implement weekly full & Daily Incremental

Syed_Ahmed
Level 2
Hi

I am planning to use only backup to disk option.

Do I need to create 2 backup to disk folders for weekly normal & 10 backup to disk folders for daily incremental?

or

2 & 10 different media sets?

How does it work?
Is there any guide available to explain implementation of backup strategy using Backup to disk option.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

S_L_2
Level 4
Syed:

What are your backup media requirements? If the Overwrite Protection Periods for your Media are the same, then create 1 Media Set. But if you have different Overwrite Protection Periods or you have custom Policy's in place then create 2 Media Sets. A Media Set can be applied to one or many backup-to-disk folders. In general, I would create 2 Backup-to-disk folders and create 2 Media Sets. You can name the folders like this: "Weekly" and "Daily." The Media Sets can have the same names "Weekly" and "Daily" so that there is no confusion and it is clear from one Backup Administrator to another.
All of your Full backups will be directed to the "Weekly" backup-to-disk folder and all of your Incremental backups will be directed to the "Daily" folder. The "Weekly" Media Set will go with the "Weekly" backup-to-disk folder and the "Daily" Media Set with the "Daily" folder.

Media Sets just tell Backup Exec how to handle the particular media that is created from a backup job.

-SL

Syed_Ahmed
Level 2
Are you suggesting seperate backup to disk folder for Full and incremental backups?

My only requirement is that I want to keep 2 full copies of backup data at a time.
I also want to take incremental backup every day. So if there need be, I can restore data from last 14 days.

Every week I want to overwrite the 2 week old full & Incremental backup to regain space on my HD.

Syed

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You can use either on or two B2D folders.

Personally I'd use one, and keep the fulls and Incrs together.

Use two media sets,
Full, Overwrite, OPP 13 days, append 0
INCR Appen else Overwrite, OPP 8 days, Append 6 days

Append is figured from when the first backup set on the media is opened
Overwrite is figured from when the last backupset on the media is closed.

One question I have is

What are you going to do for offsite backups? Say your building burns down

Will yoou have two External HDs? if so, remember that you must mount each drive on the same unique drive letter each time (that is drive1 as S: and drive2 as T:)