cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to recover backup server...FROM backup?

John_D
Level 3
This is a hypothetical, I'm still running the 60-day demo and getting my sea legs, so to speak...Please be gentle.

If I back up say 5 servers and 20 workstations onto Server ABC (specifically, to an external drive connected to ABC), I can restore files to any of the client machines from ABC. But how can I protect us from ABC itself going down? Can I just install BackupExec onto Server XYZ and load up the external drive with the backup jobs on it?

This is to say, I want to run BACKUP jobs only from ABC, but I need the capability to do RESTORES (at least a restore of ABC) from XYZ.

How can this be accomplished?
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The ideal way, would be to rebuild ABC, and restore the configuration and data from the latest tape.

You could indeed install BackupExec on one of the other servers, restore the entire \catgalogs folder to the new one, then shut down and restart BackupExec

XYZ should now display all the backup catalogs done on ABCMessage was edited by:
Ken Putnam

John_D
Level 3
but how would i restore the configuration? would I have to include it explicitly in the backups, or is it part of ABC's filesystem? and would a NEW install of backupexec let me read in the entire configuration all at once?

additionally, does backupexec contain the capability to backup *its own* sql express db? or do i need a seperate add-on for that?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Every night, backup exec will create a BEDB.BAK file, by default.

To do it manually see http://support.veritas.com/docs/268315 . Do the same thing, but specify "recover from file" when you want to restore