cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 10d not auto-responding to media insert alerts

Mr_Malinois
Level 2

Hello,

I have followed the instructions per article TECH5363 (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH5363) on configuring automatic responses to alerts, but am still required to manually select yes in the 'Media Insert' alert for the backup to proceed.

I have 3 NAS drives that I would like to use as backup devices.  I have added the 3 devices as removable backup-to-disk devices (\\NASdevice\backup_folder).   The backup jobs are configured to use 'All Devices', which should include all 3 NAS devices.  The initial backup will complete without issues, but once I disconnect the first NAS device, then connect the second (named accordingly) and attempt to run the same job, the media insert alert is thrown.  I inventory the drives before the backups, but still no success.

Am I missing something?  Maybe there is a better way to configure the backups?  Please let me know if additional information is required.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When you refer to pausing and unpausing the device, are you under the impression that the devices are named the same and are using the same B2D device? 

Not at all

Say the devices are NAS1, NAS2 and NAS3

If NAS1 is currently connected, pause the NAS1 device. 

Disconnect it

then connect the next, say NAS2. 

Then unpause NAS2

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

SaurabhK
Level 4
Employee

Hello there,

Please follow the below mentioned article

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH23999

This should take care of your issue!

Please mark this as a solution if it is resolved. Thank You.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The OP already said that he had configued AutoResponse - the article he mentions is very similar to the one that you reference

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

First, the B2D devices should be defined as standard B2D.  R-B2D is meant for hardware that stays attached, but has removeable media - like a Jazz drive for instance

Sounds like BackupExec doesn't realize that new device has been attached.  When you swap external drives (what I assume you mean when you say NAS devices), try pausing the current device and after attaching the new one, unpauseing that device. 

SaurabhK
Level 4
Employee

If your drives have enough space and the job is pointed to all devices, this should work. Unless you have overwrite protection period configured on the target media set, ensure that there is overwriteable media always.

Also if these are NAS devices that you do not swap, go for congifuring regular B2D rather than removable B2D

Keep us posted! 

Thank You!

Mr_Malinois
Level 2

Thank you all for your replies.  I still have been unable to configure this to work correctly:

Ken Putnam:  I have all 3 NAS devices named differently.  When you refer to pausing and unpausing the device, are you under the impression that the devices are named the same and are using the same B2D device? 

I have 3 seperate standard B2D devices (actually shows as 'Backup-To-Disk-Folder' when I do not select removeable).  The backups are configured with the 'All Devices' destination, which should include all of the configured Devices.

I am still being prompted to take action for the 'Media Insert' category.

SaurabhK:

The Target Media set is overwriteable.  I have set this by giving it '0' 'Hours' for an Overwrite protection period.  Is there somewhere else I should be setting this?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When you refer to pausing and unpausing the device, are you under the impression that the devices are named the same and are using the same B2D device? 

Not at all

Say the devices are NAS1, NAS2 and NAS3

If NAS1 is currently connected, pause the NAS1 device. 

Disconnect it

then connect the next, say NAS2. 

Then unpause NAS2

Mr_Malinois
Level 2

That seems to work.  Thank you very much!  By chance, is there anyway to automate this?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Only way that I can think of would be to create a BEMCMD job to pause all three devices, and execute that before disconnecting, and another that woule unpause all three and run that after connecting the next

You could either run them manually (what I would do) or run them from Windows Task Scheduler

Mr_Malinois
Level 2

Thank you.  I will try that.  If not, it is not a big deal since I will be manually changing out the drives weekly anyways.