cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 11d Job hangs

DStek
Level 2
Using BE 11d rev 7170, Backup job run fine untile very end, before verify. Job hangs with the elapsed time still incrementing but byte count doesnt. opening the job shows it to be on the system state. if i uncheck the system state it hangs on something else (appears to be whatever the last item it tries to backup). Runs on Windows 2003 std ed SP2. backs up just itself and 1 other server (same OS). I have recreated jobs. uninstalled and reinstalled with no change in problem, will work for a couple of days the starts hanging. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Dave
4 REPLIES 4

AC-EQ
Not applicable
I'm seeing the exact same behaviour.
I can see in the properties, where it's getting stuck, but I don't understand why it just can't skip that part of the job, as it just doesn't end.

Also, if you cancel, it doesn't cancel at all -  it stays at "Cancel pending" for hours.
So I end up rebooting the server.
Applied all the latest updates (btw that updates service hardly ever works).

Message Edited by AC-EQ on 09-07-2007 03:54 AM

Tcore
Not applicable
I have similar probelm.

but the backup job hangs randomly....it hangs and time keeps increasing but byte count doesn't..

when i check the server, the VSS service is hanged...

is there a way to take backups of system state without using VSS.

DStek
Level 2
AC-EQ, 
Try restarting all the backupexec services instead of rebooting, works on ours and is not disruptive to network.

J_Peralta
Level 4
I've seen the same problem and cant find any real reason.

System Info:
- 11d | rev. 6135 | SP1 | hotfix 23
- Win server 2003 | R2 | SP1
- HP DL380 G4
- HP Dat72 Autoloader
- HP/LSI SCSI controller card

I've noticed that it locks on any (not every) backup job, recreated or not, no specific point in the job and never the same point on the same job.  Its very inconsistent.  The only thing I've noticed is the SCSI card is sometimes timing out.  However, no matter what driver, what firmware update, what SCSI configuration or PCI-X slot it is in has any affect on the card.  It's possible that the card is bad but it works over 75% of the time with great speeds.  Sometimes however, it just craps out.

Here are some of the Event ID descriptions:

---
The description for Event ID ( 129 ) in Source ( Lsi_scsi ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: \Device\RaidPort0.

and

Event ID (9) The device, \Device\Scsi\symmpi1, did not respond within the timeout period.
----

Restarting the services doesn't help.  It simply never shuts down BEEngine.  In 'services.msc' in simply says "stopping".  I've rarely been able to solve this problem by killing the process in Task Manager, then restarting it through either the 11d restart services area or within services.msc.  It does however kill the backup job in the process, thus making it very inefficient and unproductive.

Anyone with any suggestion and/or experience with something like this?

Message Edited by J Peralta on 09-13-2007 02:20 PM