Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 - Backup Domain Controller - Error 0x8004230f

Matt34
Level 4
I am getting this error everyday when backing up the Domain Controller:

Backup- \\xxx.xxx.xxx\C:
- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\xxx.xxx.xxx\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\xxx.xxx.xxx\System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

The Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider is started.  All other Backup Exec services are started.
6 REPLIES 6

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi,

Your server is on W2K or W2K3 or W2K8

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Matt34
Level 4
This is a W2K3 box x64 (The BE server).  The Domain is W2k3 box

I checked the credentials and they are listed as the Domain Administrator.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited

got AOFO enabled? --> disable it. It's not needed, as BE uses Microsoft Snapshot Provider by default. This often causes problems.

got hotfix 324011 installed? --> if so, uninstall it, as it also will cause problems backing up system state of a DC
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/328487.htm

Also check the status of the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Service on the DC, this must not be disabled.

best regards

Dominik

Matt34
Level 4
I am trying to uninstall Hotfix 324011 from the server, but am unable to.  Any suggestions with that?

Also disabled AOFO, but that did not fix it.  So need to get that hotfixed removed (yes I have restared the server).

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
What do you mean by "unable"?
Where is the exact problem?