cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 on Win 2012 for Win 2008 offhost backup ?

rbwbc
Level 2

Hello,

We currently have a Win 2003 Server running BE 12.5, and saving various servers running on Win 2003, 2008 or 2008R2 on disks and tapes.

Two of those remote servers run Win 2008 std and use a Dell EqualLogic array on iSCSI. Backup Exec does NOT currently performs an offhost backup for these servers.

The current LTO-3 library has broken down and will soon be replaced by an LTO-6, we will change the backup server as well, for it is too old for the new LTO drive, and we'd like to switch to offhost backup to remove some charge from the LAN and remote servers.

My questions :

1) Can we still today buy the required ADBO option for BE 12.5 for offhost backup?

2) Can we run BE 12.5 on a Win 2008 server, and configure it to run an offhost backup for the volumes belonging to the win2008 servers? I've read the media and remote servers must have the same OS, but it was aimed at 2003/2008; is it still true with a 2008 remote server and a 2008R2 or 2012 media server? Must we use a 2008 OS on the media server to perform offhost backup?

3) If not, would an upgrade to BE 2012 allow us to do it?

Thank you,

Renaud

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

With Offhost Backup here is a list of the requirements from http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48516 

'The media server:
  • Must have Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 12.5 or later installed.
  • Must have the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option installed.
The remote computer:
  • Must have the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers version 12.5 or later installed.
The media server and the remote computer:
  • Must possess a software or hardware VSS provider capable of transportable snapshots.
  • Must have Microsoft Windows 2003/2008 SP1 or later with the latest VSS hotfixes.
  • Both media server and remote system must have identical operating systems.
  • Must have the ability to access the disks that are shared between the media server and the remote computer.'

The biggest problem with your scenario is that an LTO-6 in not supported with Backup Exec 12.5

You could upgrade to Backup Exec 2010 R3 and you are able to use the same license you are using with Backup Exec 12.5.

Here is a link to the download http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

and here is a document on  A How To Direct Upgrade to 2010R3

View solution in original post

lmosla
Level 6

I just saw in the title of your post 'BE 12.5 on Win 2012'  Backup exec 2010 R3 and Backup Exec 2012 will be supporting protection for Windows Server 2012 very shortly but does not currently.  Also, though it will support protecting remote servers the media server cannot be a Windows Server 2012.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do note what off-host backup supports and do not support.  Here is an extract from the BE 2012 Admin Guide

Off-host backup supports the following:
■ Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
■ Backups for the NTFS volumes that use the full, incremental, and differential
backup methods.
■ Exchange Agent backups for Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 (Service Pack
1)/ 2007 instances that run on Windows Server 2003. Support for the option
to use Backup Exec Granular Recovery Technology for Exchange Agent backups
is included.
Advanced Disk-based Option off-host backup does not support the following:
■ The option Checkpoint Restart.
■ Volumes that run Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It seems that to upgrade for free to 2010 R3 I need to be on a maintenance contract?

This is correct.  If you have a current maintenance contract, you can upgrade for free.  Otherwise, you need to contact the Symantec Licencing department to see what they can do regarding any upgrade.

10 REPLIES 10

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,

With Offhost Backup here is a list of the requirements from http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48516 

'The media server:
  • Must have Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 12.5 or later installed.
  • Must have the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option installed.
The remote computer:
  • Must have the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers version 12.5 or later installed.
The media server and the remote computer:
  • Must possess a software or hardware VSS provider capable of transportable snapshots.
  • Must have Microsoft Windows 2003/2008 SP1 or later with the latest VSS hotfixes.
  • Both media server and remote system must have identical operating systems.
  • Must have the ability to access the disks that are shared between the media server and the remote computer.'

The biggest problem with your scenario is that an LTO-6 in not supported with Backup Exec 12.5

You could upgrade to Backup Exec 2010 R3 and you are able to use the same license you are using with Backup Exec 12.5.

Here is a link to the download http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

and here is a document on  A How To Direct Upgrade to 2010R3

lmosla
Level 6

I just saw in the title of your post 'BE 12.5 on Win 2012'  Backup exec 2010 R3 and Backup Exec 2012 will be supporting protection for Windows Server 2012 very shortly but does not currently.  Also, though it will support protecting remote servers the media server cannot be a Windows Server 2012.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Are you sure?  If this is so, why do I need a new set of licence keys when I upgrade to BE 2010?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do note what off-host backup supports and do not support.  Here is an extract from the BE 2012 Admin Guide

Off-host backup supports the following:
■ Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
■ Backups for the NTFS volumes that use the full, incremental, and differential
backup methods.
■ Exchange Agent backups for Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 (Service Pack
1)/ 2007 instances that run on Windows Server 2003. Support for the option
to use Backup Exec Granular Recovery Technology for Exchange Agent backups
is included.
Advanced Disk-based Option off-host backup does not support the following:
■ The option Checkpoint Restart.
■ Volumes that run Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption.

rbwbc
Level 2

Thank you very much!

So, I understand that I need to keep BE (2010 R3 or 2012) on a win 2008 server.

I have another question!! :)

It seems that to upgrade for free to 2010 R3 I need to be on a maintenance contract? Cause I'm not...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It seems that to upgrade for free to 2010 R3 I need to be on a maintenance contract?

This is correct.  If you have a current maintenance contract, you can upgrade for free.  Otherwise, you need to contact the Symantec Licencing department to see what they can do regarding any upgrade.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Extra point - just in case - OffHost does not support Virtual Agent backups - this means you cannot offhost Hyper-V VMs but for VMware should use the SAN Transport which is the equivalent of Offhost and provided by the VMware vStoprage API which we make use of.

rbwbc
Level 2

Thank you all for your answers!

Since we won't be eligible for a free upgrade, is there any reason to choose BE 2010 R3 over 2012 ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Yes, lots!!!!!!!

GUI changes, underlying functionality changes (not all good)...check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5216

Symantec are doing a lot behind the scenes apparently to change things going-forward though. My personal choice at this stage would be BE 2010 R3 until/if Symantec fix the design changes.

Thanks!

teiva-boy
Level 6

Some people rip their hair out on BE2012.  Others (Very few I've met) like the product.  BE2010 though won't support Win2k12 except via hotfix which I'm not sure is out yet...  At the very least BE2010 has the same interface as 12.5, and R3 has been pretty stable as is.

I'd suggest testing the interface and functions of BE2012 to see if it meets your needs.  If not, 2010 is pretty solid affter the numerous updates and hotfixes.  If Windows 2012 support is something you need...  Might want to think of a product that supports it today, and can better support your LTO6 tape drive.  BackupExec and LTO5/6 are not the best of friends (BE is too slow for LTO5/6 tapes)