cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 reports B2D folder "out of space" in error

PBollwerk
Level 3

We have a file share on a Linux box being used as a B2D folder in BE 12.5. It seems to be able to use it fine for a while, but will incorrectly say "out of disk space", even though there is 353GB available (out of 1TB) at the moment.

Settings for this folder are:

Max size for B2D files: 4GB

Allocate the max size for B2D files - checked

Allow 2 concurrent jobs

Advanced - Low disk space threshold is NOT checked -- Auto detect NOT checked -- Buffered reads/writes checked

General overall retention period is set to 2 weeks.

7 REPLIES 7

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

While running any job to B2D folder, BE reporting that error?

Also what is the value of maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk folder?

Does the B2D folder ahve that many backup sets now?

Regards...

PBollwerk
Level 3

Yes. That folder is one of 2 B2D folders in a device pool which we have many jobs use. The other folder has far less available space, but still isn't yet reporting being out of space. The only difference is that one is on a windows share, while the problem one is on a linux share. Maybe BE's method of detecting available free space doesn't work well for Linux shares?

Max number of backup sets is not configurable when you check the box for "Allocate the maximum size for backup-to-disk files" - According to the manual, this option should "auto-detect" how many B2D files it can fit. - Unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try to uncheck the option "Allocate the maximum size for backup to disk files" and then try the backups. Because here if you have kept the maximum size as 4GB then every time you run the job it will allocate 4GB space to B2D even if the backups are of 1GB. So there is loss of 3GB space.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

-Sush...

PBollwerk
Level 3

@Sush

I think you are maybe misunderstanding the problem. We have a total of 1TB allocated to the share for this B2D folder, but only 2/3 of it is being used. However, BE says that the folder is out of space. It's not a question of whether the B2D files are 4GB or not. I don't care if it makes each file 4GB in size. There is plenty of space for BE to create more B2D files, yet it isn't correctly determining the amount of free space available.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The only difference is that one is on a windows share, while the problem one is on a linux share. Maybe BE's method of detecting available free space doesn't work well for Linux shares?

I think you may be correct, here

PBollwerk
Level 3

We have ended up creating another B2D folder, but this one using an iSCSI drive mapping to the same Linux resource, but the mapping itself is on a Windows server, so maybe that will work better.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that the Linux box is not returning the free space correctly to BE.  BE relies on the OS to tell it what the free space is.