cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12 and Domino

Naper_Admin
Level 3
Hello,

When backup domino database I get the following error.

The strange thing is this is happening just about every day, and at different time intervals as well as on different files.

We are working with backup exec 12 with all the updates installed.

These settings in registry are already changed

Enable Change Journal = 0

Enable Notes Database Filtering = 0

Job ended: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 4:07:40AM 
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe30 - A communications failure has occurred.
Final error category: Server Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65072

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup- FRESHFEL-SRV01V-79-57344-65072 - The database server is not responding. Backup set canceled.

Bytes backup 0

Error Code E000E020

Now the only thing I can say is that this Domino server was moved from one location to another.  The BE Agent was modified to point to the new new as well as the host file changed.  I have had a total of 2 successful backup of this box in close to a month.  I was wondering if a full uninstall of the agent and a reinstall would help.

Does anyone have an ideas?

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

Abhijit_Soman
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You can backup domino database 2 ways which are as follows

1. Using domino agent
2. Using open file backup

Solution 1 - Using Domino Agent
  1. Stop remote agent on domino server.
  2. Open remote agent installation directory on domino server
  3. Rename logs folder with logs1 or logs3 (any name)
  4. Stop backup exec services on on backup services
  5. Open backup exec installation directory
  6. Repeat step no. 3
  7. Turn off the "Enalbe Notes Database Filtering" and "Enable Change Journal" Registry Keys. This can be done by setting them to 0. This should be done on both the local and remote machine HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\Enable Notes Database Filtering (Default value is 1, set to 0) HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\Enable Change Journal (Default value is 1, set to 0)
  8. Start the Backup Exec Services (Both Local and Remote)
  9. Create new backup job and try to brows domino database
Solution 2 - Using Advanced Open File Option
  1. On domino server, install remote agent with AOFO and restart the server
  2. Make sure that you have sufficient free space available on domino server other than database volume (recommended 25 - 30% of database)
  3. From backup server, configure the backup job and in selection list select to domino data folder (whhere the database files resides) and notes configuration file
  4. Configure backup job with AOFO
  5. Submit the backup job but do not run
  6. Stop backup exec services on both servers
  7. On both servers, open registry key HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\Enable Offline Backup (Default value is 0, set to 1)
  8. Start backup exec services on both servers and run the backup

Please let me know if you have any doubts

Naper_Admin
Level 3
I have tried the options listed in solution 1 before.  And I would prefer to use the agent versus using AOFO.  I have heard that uninstalling the agent and re-pushing it should help with this.  Is/could that be the case?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This is not specifically a Domino problem, this is a Remote Agent problem\

The Remote Agent is quite "fragile".  If the connection has problems the media server doesn't automatically try to reconnect to continue the job  (BE has been this way since v7.0 by BTW)

Start with some basic network troubleshooting

Does the switch report any errors? 
if you try XCOPYing a large chunck of data,  does it complete successfully in an acceptable time?

Naper_Admin
Level 3
See that's the odd thing.  I have numerous other SQL servers on the same segment that are backing up HUGE databases with no issues.  They have not had any issues.  So I am thinking that maybe the reinstall of the Agent would help?  I am just lost on this one and I obviously need to get this resolved ASAP.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

reinstalling the Agent certainly couldn't hurt

Naper_Admin
Level 3
So I removed and reinstalled the agent from the BE server, and I did not included the AOFO portion of the agent.  I am still having issues and desperately looking for a resolution.

BCIKevin
Level 3
The only way I could get it to backup our Notes server was doing a backup with the database services stopped.  If you set up the job with pre/post commands and have a script that stops your domino database, it should work.  We saved a batch file on our D drive, so our pre/post looks like this:

Pre-command: D:\SysMang\StopService.bat
Post-command: D:\SysMang\StartService.bat

Check the "Run job only if pre-command is successful" and "Run post-command only if pre-command is successful" and "Run post-command even if job fails"

The StopService batch file (stored in the SysMang folder on D drive) looks like this: NET STOP "Lotus Domino Server (fLotusDominodata)"
The StartService batch file looks like this: NET START "Lotus Domino Server (fLotusDominodata)"

Obviously users won't be able to access their mail while this runs, so we run it in the middle of the night.  The number of users and size of the database will affect the downtime.  Unfortunately, this was the only way we were able to successfully run our backups for the Lotus Notes server.  I have not tried Abhijit's suggestion for Option 2 that I can recall though, I may give that a shot.

Naper_Admin
Level 3
Kevin,

Were you using the Agent for Lotus Domino within Backup Exec?  I am just trying to figure out where I am missing something.

BCIKevin
Level 3
We do have the agent installed on the backup server.  I believe that without it you can't open the databases within Backup Exec when selecting what you want to back up, so I think it uses it.

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I had a customer suffering from problems backing up domino as well.
I also tried every troubleshooting guide, with no really success.
As you already made the registry changes, i would recommend try the following kb article:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/292423.htm

This got the backup job temporaliy working for several times for our customer.
He then impelmented a task, which does this in a fix time interval.
Since he uses the task which does the renaming of the file, the backup is working.
Not a really nice solution, but it workes.
Perhaps also solves your problem. Should be worth trying.

btw: customer is using BE 12.5 and Lotus 7, so don't be confused by the versions mentioned in the article

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Besides the registry changes you could impelement a task or batch, which does the following:

stop RAWS service
delete c:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\logs and deleted NOTESDB*.UCJ
start RAWS service

after that, backup should be possible.
(Worked for a customer)

nevertheless, after upgrading to the newest state, it also worked without this workaround.

best regards

Dominik

Naper_Admin
Level 3

Does anyone have any sort of documentation on best practices for backing up Domino 6.5.4?  We are hopefully migrating to 8.x later this year as it is still in testing within our Domino group.  I just want to make sure I am not over looking anything.