cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12 and Netgear ReadyNAS

Fine_Foods
Level 2
I have purchased a Netgear ReadyNAS unit and Symantec Backup Exec (Quick Start Ed. was available with my Dell PowerEdge).  When I attempt to configure the Netgear unit it isn't "seen" by SBE.  I have read numerous posts that speak of this configuration as working and others that mention it doesn't work.  I specifically contacted Symantec Customer Pre-Sales support and the woman who took my call said that "Yes" the Netgear device will work with SBE 12.  Research since my purchase has revealed that Symantec states SBE agents cannot be loaded onto a Linux/Unix client I believe.

Question:  Will these two products work together out of the box?  If so, how do I set it up?  If not, Symantec please educate your customer pre-sales team so we can make informed decisions from their answers.  Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Research since my purchase has revealed that Symantec states SBE agents cannot be loaded onto a Linux/Unix client I believe.

NEW! Data protection for non Microsoft environments—Backup Exec for Windows Small Business Server provides support for remote Linux®, UNIX, NetWare®, and Mac® environments, extending data protection beyond Windows.

Have you installed a RALUS serial on the media server?

Fine_Foods
Level 2
Perhaps I should have been more clear.  I asked the Symantec Customer Pre-Sales support if the SBE Quick Start Ed. works with the Netgear ReadyNAS.  I don't see any RALUS serial included with the Quick Start Ed.  The product is packaged with a Quick Start Ed. license only.  I have purchased the ReadyNAS device and the Quick Start Ed.  Can someone provide a definitive answer if these two products will work together without purchasing additional licenses/clients etc?  If so, would you point me to some documentation or instructions to accomplish this please?  Thanks.

Fine_Foods
Level 2
I see a four letter word in the link Ken post: "mktg" which would lead me to believe this is a marketing document not a "whitepaper".  After selling software for a decade and a half I've learned to not believe what is said nor what is printed in marketing material and rely only on the actual functionality of a product.

I have Symantec Backup Exec Quick Start Edition that was purchased with my Dell PowerEdge 2900 server.  I also have a Netgear ReadyNAS network attached storage device.  I would like to create a Backup-to-disk folder on the ReadyNAS and make it the DESTINATION of my backups.  Is this possible?  Do I require a RALUS agent to make this device a destination for backups?  If so, can I download a trial version and see this perform before purchasing the product?

Please no more links to marketing documents.  And further if anyone is using a ReadyNAS device please respond with any pitfalls you may have experienced.  Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry, missed the "Quick Start" part

Quickstart is mean to backup itself and W2KPro/XP Pro only