cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 20.6 Not Backing up moved files

keithCR
Level 2

Hi,

Backup Exec is not backing up files that have been moved; when doing an incremental backup.

Scenario:

I have a backup job that performs a full backup on Friday and differentials on Mon-Thur of a file server. That server does not have a full selection - it excludes and an area which is set as read-only for users.

The read-only area is used to store data that is not accessed very often and therefore I can backup once and then incrementally as files get added to it from the normal file share that is included in the above backup job.

I have an additional job that has the selection for just the read-only areas (there are actually two) and includes a full and incremental job set with a schedule years in advance so I can run them manually as required. I had run the full backup of this job after the first move of files into the first read-only area and that backed up all the files as expected. I have then moved files into the second read-only area and then ran the incremental job to append the data to the same tape, however it did not back up the second set of files that were moved.

I have run the incremental now a few times after the other normal job has run it's full backup and has therefore not got these files on it as they have been moved, but still, the read-only incremental job doesn't back them up so they are no longer backed up.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

keithCR
Level 2

Oh I should add that the first incremental job that ran backed up all the folders in the second read only area but not the files within.

RogRubin
Employee

I am not sure what you doing wrong but in general - very basic example; hopefully this helps

Scenario:
You have a folder A and a folder B
You have file A in folder A
- Full backup of folder A will backup file A
No changes happen to file A
- An Incremental or Differential backup of folder A will not backup file A as no changes were done to that file.

You move file A to folder B
- Any job (Full, Incremental or Differential) of folder A will no longer backup file A as it no longe exist.
- If you now run a Full, Incremental or Differential of folder B, that file A will be backed up as part of that folder B.