Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R2 not automatically loading tape media

Lmilask
Level 2
Partner

Hello,

I've recently upgraded this organization's Backup Exec from versioni 12.5 to 2010 R2. Before this, if a job would span two tape, when a second tape was inserted the job would automatically continue the job with the second tape; no interaction from any user. 

Now, though, that's not the case anymore. After the user in charge of changing the tapes inserts the next one, it doesn't load the media until I come in in the morning, log into the server, load BE, and acknowledge that there is another tape in the drive and that it's okay to use it.

The tapes ARE overwritable so that can't be the issue. I did notice while monitoring one backup that at one point the status said "Updating Catalogs" long after the tape had already been acknowledged as the next tape to back up in, then after a long wait of updating catalogs it continued the job as normal. (Don't know how much this will help; thought I'd mention it).

What do I need to do to have BE load the subsequent tapes (spanned job) automatically and continue the backup without anyone's interaction or acknowledgement?

Thank you very much!

Manny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

After the user in charge of changing the tapes inserts the next one, it doesn't load the media until I come in in the morning, log into the server, load BE, and acknowledge that there is another tape in the drive and that it's okay to use it.

From these lines what I understabd is that you are responding (acknowledge ) to the Media Insert Alert. Please follow the steps below:

Goto TOOLS>>ALERT CATEGORIES ... this will open a small Window.

Select MEDIA INSERT and then select the option to "Automatically clear Alert after = 1 minutes"

Also select "Respond with YES"

Click OK and then test your jobs.

In the same way you can also configure the Alert Category Media Intervention.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6

After the user in charge of changing the tapes inserts the next one, it doesn't load the media until I come in in the morning, log into the server, load BE, and acknowledge that there is another tape in the drive and that it's okay to use it.

From these lines what I understabd is that you are responding (acknowledge ) to the Media Insert Alert. Please follow the steps below:

Goto TOOLS>>ALERT CATEGORIES ... this will open a small Window.

Select MEDIA INSERT and then select the option to "Automatically clear Alert after = 1 minutes"

Also select "Respond with YES"

Click OK and then test your jobs.

In the same way you can also configure the Alert Category Media Intervention.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Lmilask
Level 2
Partner
Thank you so much! That was what I was looking for. Cheers! Manny

Sush---
Level 6

If the above post was helpful please mark it as Solution and close this post.

Thanks,

-Sush...