cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 - Restoring files from Hyper-V GRT backup

ParrotHeadFL
Level 4

Running BE2010 R3, fully patched.

I'm backing up several Hyper-V servers, with GRT enabled. The backups seem to be working fine.

However, when I restore I can't seem to find an option for restoring individual files--just the whole virtual machine. Am I missing something?

10 REPLIES 10

ApieBe
Level 4

you need to install an agent on the guest machine. Do not activate advanced open file either

ParrotHeadFL
Level 4

I have the agent installed on all of the VMs. I'm not getting any errors about the backup or GRT not working correctly, which is strange.

I may have Advanced File Open enabled for the job, though. I'll check on that.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In the restore selection, don't look in the place you see the whole virtual machine/vhd files - intead look where you would if you had done a Remote Agent backup of a Windows machine - you should find your VM is listed there with a date/time matching the Hyper-V backup.

ParrotHeadFL
Level 4

You mean that when I setup the restore job I should look for the name of the VM rather than the name of the host machine? If so, no luck there.

But I just noticed that I'm getting the V-79-57344-38722 error on my GRT VM backup jobs. Something about being unable to mount a VHD. So I'm investigating that...

sbora
Level 6

Check if you are facing the issue documented in:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH162930

If backup is to disk and if backup exec server is windows 2003 then you need to install vhdmounter component on backup exec server. If backup exec server is windows 2008 then either install vhdmounter or install hyper-v role on the server.

If the above steps does not help then to find out the cause of the issue you will have to debug remote agent (on backup exec server if the backup is going to disk and on Hyper-V server if the backups are going to tape).

ParrotHeadFL
Level 4

I'm backing up to disk, so it could be the error mentioned in that document. I have no idea how the storage system is configured in terms of 4K clusters.

The BE server is 2008. I tried installing the VHD mounter, but that didn't fix it. Can't install Hyper-V role because the BE server is a VM in Hyper-V. Can't run Hyper-V inside of Hyper-V.

sbora
Level 6

You can refer to following MS document to verify if your disk is configured with 4k sectors:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009

ParrotHeadFL
Level 4

The device I'm backing up to isn't a Windows device, though, so I'm not sure this applies. It's a storage system from ExaGrid that runs Linux.

sbora
Level 6

Can you run a backup to Backup to disk folder created on local disk on backup exec server and check the result? This will help you isolate if the issue is related to B2D on the Nas box. 

Else we may have to refer the remote agent debug log for additional information.

ParrotHeadFL
Level 4

I'll have to give that a shot.