cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 - VMware Image restores fail with credential error

StewartHume
Level 2

Error in the Job History Reads "e0009b61 - The logon account that was provided does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct, and then try again. For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-39777"

We have a number of vmware guest servers that are backed as images (GRT is not selected)

The credentials used for the backup have admin rights on the backup server and is a member of the Administrator role in VMWare.

All the vmware Guest server mage based backups succeed and verify with no errors.   

Restores of the VMWare image backup fail with the above error.

When setting up the restore I choose the VM guest server through the VMware VirtualCenter and ESX servers resource

I then test the logon credentials with success.

When I run the job it drops into job monitor then almost immediately fails with error shown.

My problem is that I cannot ascertain on which system the logon account is failing the logon to Vsphere or the logon to the Backup Server?,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lmosla
Level 6

Hi What version of VMWare are you running? 

use the following article that addresses this issue http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160478&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

lmosla
Level 6

Hi What version of VMWare are you running? 

use the following article that addresses this issue http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH160478&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

StewartHume
Level 2

You know I read that post twice and still missed that I didnt include that :)

VMWare 5.1..

I understand BE is not totally compatible with 5.1, As I understood it it was around the GRT backup not the simple image backups..Was I wrong?

lmosla
Level 6

Well you are in luck,  we just released theBackup Exec 2012 Beta that does support 5.1  Go here  buex.ec/BEbetaBlog

and sign up for the download and then you should be good to go. 

StewartHume
Level 2

AH no...

I was hoping I wouldnt have to upgrade just yet.. I find the user interface of 2012 diabolical.

Oh well, Will try the the solutions offered in the Technote first.. will advise on result..

:)

StewartHume
Level 2

Imosla

Thanks for the Tip

It didnt quite work out the way it was written, But it gave me the starting point an area to work in.

Resolved the issue and have now done a full restore of a VMware image.

When looking in BE 2010 Network Logon Accounts there is a list of credentials

a couple are the same account but shown with different owners.

The solution was for us was when setting up the restore to choose the credentials owned by the Vcentre administrator.

Usually all restores were run under the Backup Exec account shown as owned a Domain Admin.

All other standard windows agent based restores work successfully

Now the Vmware image restores do too..

Go figure?

Anyway thanks for the hint.. The secret is in the way you ask the Question..wink