cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 backup to disk - insufficient space

rsobelman
Not applicable

Environment: BackupExec 2010 R3 on Windows 2008 R2 server backing up to removable USB disk cartridges.

Up until last week, I was using BE 12.5 on the exact same hardware (same server hardware, but 2003 server - same RDX removable disk cartridges), same exact backup set. I had to move to 2010 & W2008 server to support my new Exchange 2010 server.

The RDX cartridges are 320Gb and I was not having a problem backing up using BE 12.5. The total backup set was about 280-290Gb. Now the backup fails with insufficent disk space. The total backup at the point of failure is only 230Gb. But if I look at the properties of the disk in Windows it shows 298Gb used of of 318Gb.

Also, the first backup selection is Exchange 2010, but the log shows it fails due to insufficient disk space even though it is the 1st resource listed - and I have double-checked the order of resources.

3 REPLIES 3

Tmy_70
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

valid in the statement of the backupset if you have a watermark of 80%.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you back up Exchange to disk, BE will create a .img with the entire edb and other files.  If these are too big for the disk then the backup will fail during the file allocation stage.  You are at the edge of the space limit for your disks before and have probably now exceeded the space limit.  You will need to get bigger disks.

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Also you can reduce some old IMG folder and B2D files from the allocated Media set to Scratch Media set which will reclaim the space when the job starts.

Also re-visit the Overwrite Protection Period (OPP) settings as per your requirements and Space available on disk and data backed up. You may have to reduce the OPP.

Thanks,

-Sush...