Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 reporting hardware issue

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

With today being Thursday, last night's backup (the Wednesday one) and also Mondays (but not Tuesdays) has reported the error seen below.  I usually don't put much stock in hardware error reporting from the OS or applications when they apply to hard drives that are in an array, since you'd need venor-specific array diag utilities to properly see and report that.  So it's up to me to interpret what BE thinks is the issue. 

The physical server has one array controller, with 2 arrays.  So each array is seen by the OS as a single physical drive.  Array 1 is a mirror set, array 2 is a RAID 5 set.  My guess is BE is flagging something happening on the RAID 5 set, or "disk #2). 

So while I will definitely look at the vendor-specific diag tools, I am wondering, what does "DR2" mean?  You have \Device\harddisk2, which I take to mean it thinks the 2nd HD (or in reality, Array 2) but then what's the DR2 part? 

So if anybody has any insight and knows how BE figures this stff out, please share, and thank you.  Here's the error text:

The following event was reported on 7/19/2012 12:58:26 AM:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2.

--------------------

This error signifies controller errors. These errors are generally caused by hardware that is not functioning correctly. To resolve these errors, try the following actions:

- Slow the SCSI bus.

- Verify that the latest SCSI drivers and firmware are loaded.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I tried a novel troubleshooting approach to start this off.  I rebooted the server.  Voila, no more errors :)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

DR2 would refer to a drive. Check for that ID in Device Manager, or under an array control application.

If something like an HP server, look for any hardware issues on the hardware management homepage in order to eliminate a HDD error.

Thanks!

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I tried a novel troubleshooting approach to start this off.  I rebooted the server.  Voila, no more errors :)

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

re : So if anybody has any insight and knows how BE figures this stff out, please share, and thank you.

BE doesn't "figures this stuff out".  BE simply brings some items from the Windows event log to your attention.  So, you should keep an eye on your Windows event logs for other, possibly related, errors.  These errors can be very intermittent.

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I'm glad to learn that BE doesn't do it's own interpretation of events like that.  I'm in the process of reviewing the MS logs now - definitely not much to go on in these logs though.  That's ok - often it dosn't pay to trakc down a single occurance of a obscure problem - if it repeats then I'll be more concerned.