cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 with IBM TS3100

TJMurphy
Level 3

Hello,

So I have a backup exec installation on a virtualized 2008 server and am trying ot get it set up to backup to tape from an IBM TS3100.  The physical hardware is a Dell R700 with a Dell 6Gbps SAS HBA adapter passing the SAS interface through to the VM.I can see both the library and drive in device manager.  The library is shown as "Unknown Medium Changer" and the drive is shown as "IBM ULT3580-TD4" within device manager.  I can also see them in Backup exec.  Under devices there is an entry for IBM 002 with sub categories for IBM 001 and slots.  I am successfully reading all the tapes and showing a tape active within the drive as well.

When I try to set up a backup both IBM 002 and IBM 001 read in use next to them, but in job monitor the job sits as idle in a qued state.  Upon further inventigation it looks like the tape in the drive is always in use even when no job is queued.  How should i go about getting backups to run to tape and is there some configuration i may be missing to get the tape to show as idle when backups are not running?

Thank you all for your help

14 REPLIES 14

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

!stly check if there in any tape stuck in the drive in most of the cases it seems to be an issue where tape is stuck in the drive . 

Download and install the latest symantec tape drivers.

TJMurphy
Level 3

I am able to move the tapes around from the TS3100 web interface so i wouldn't think it is a drive being stuck although when i change the drives from the web interface they do not show as changed in the BE interface.

I'll download the latest drivers as well and get back to you with how it went.

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

While it is recomended that the media be a physical box and not virtualized we should be able to make the configuration work. As suggested above please verify that the tape drives have the SYMC drivers installed this can be done by running tapeinst.exe on the media sever. Aditionally you need to make sure that you have installed your LEO license for the second tape drive. 

Here is a good article for you to look over 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

TJMurphy
Level 3

There is only one Tape drive, it just shows up in BE as the changer and the actual drive.  I have used the install symantec drivers options in the configure tape devices menu.  When i do this it shows IBM 001 as offline, but the tape in it still shows as in use and active.  I would assume that option would reach out for the most recent drivers, if not where should I be looking to find them?

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

So I have a backup exec installation on a virtualized 2008 server

I believe that this is an unsupported configuration.

TJMurphy
Level 3

Donald,

I have gone through that link you sent me and fixed a majority of the inconsistencies.  My drive still shows as in use though even with the correct drivers and configurations.  Any other ideas?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

While it is recomended that the media be a physical box and not virtualized we should be able to make the configuration work.

Can you provide some document that states that a virtualised media server is supported, especially the pass-thru to a tape drive attached to the host?

TJMurphy
Level 3

I found a drive to be stuck in the drive, but have since removed it.  i am still having the issue where a tape that is visible in the drive will not go idle and just stays in use.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

PKH.. im sorry if i wasnt clear in my statement... i wasnt implying that the configuration was not achievable i was simply stating that it is recomended / best practice that the media server be a physical machine

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Additionally PKH here is the documentation that you requested specific to the pass-thru configuration

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609

pkh
   VIP    Certified

According the alternative configuration statment in the document quoted, the onus is on the user to make the configuration work.  Also, if there is a problem, it is up to the user to prove that the problem is not caused by virtualising the media server.  

However, your statement

While it is recomended that the media be a physical box and not virtualized we should be able to make the configuration work.

implies that Symantec will make the configuration work which means that a virtualised media server is fully supported and this statement contradicts the alternative configuration statement.  Is the document wrong?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Powercyle the Robotic library and the Media server as below 

1. Shutdown the Library and the media server .

2. Power on the library first , wait for it to get intialized.

3. then power on the media server.

4. Make sure the Medium changer and the Tape drive are displayed properly in Device manger .

let us know if that resolves the issue .

pkh
   VIP    Certified

His problem is probably due to the fact that he is using pass-thru from him virtualised media server to the tape drive.  See his other discussion

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-not-registering-updated-firmware#comment-...

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

This is an alternate configuration that will receive a reasonable support effort. It is not an officially supported operating system for a Backup Exec Media Server.

BE2010 SCL

Page 13, section 'Media Server Operating System Compatibility', 3rd notation from the top...states the support policy of virtual machine.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137682

BE2012 SCL

Page 6, section 'Backup Exec 2012 Server - Operating System Compatibility', 2nd notation from the top...states the support policy of virtual machine.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH175581