Did you mean: 

BE 2010 Server Query

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Scenario

- I've created a full backup policy in which I'm backing up 3-4 clients

Problem

- The job runs fine untill the 1st Tape. After the tape gets full the job goes into queued state even though the tapes are present in the Media Set.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You are right. Job will look for an overwritable media in the Media set assigned to the

job if there are no overwritable tapes then BE will look into scratch media.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Right click on job and click Respond to alert and See what alert  is there.

Second tape need to be over-writable and move that tape to scratch media.

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

They are fresh tapes and I've erased those tapes and they are present in that Media Set. Correct me if I'm wrong. Can you explain how to cross check Overwritable Media

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Right click on that tape(under devices) -properties -they should say over-writable

also over-writable tapes show up as blue in colour, where as other ar in Black.

What error do you have in Alerts tab and move that new tape to scratch media first

and then it will move automatically to required media set after job.

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I've attached the screenshot. Full Backup2,Full Backup3,Full Backup4,Full Backup5 are not blue even though they are not full.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you erase the tapes, the allocate date is changed and the OPP starts from then.  You should leave the tapes in the scatch media set or let their overwrite protection expires naturally and don't erase them.

For now what you can do is to move the tapes to the scratch media set.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Dishant,

Go into: Tools --> OPtions --> Media Management, and make sure you have the following 2 options selected:

1. Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recyclable media contained in the targeted media set.

2. Media overwrite protection level: Partial - Protect only allocated media.

The first option will ensure that scratch media is overwrited if it is in your media set (like you mentioned), and the second option protects your media from being overwritten...basically just an extra level of protection going forward.

Laters!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Any Media available in your Scratch Media set?

I couldn't see Media Set information in the attached screen shot.

I think when you moved tapes to Full media set, they obtained the OPP settings of FULL mediaset. So, Full backup 1,2,3,4,5 are appendable but not overwritable.

Be will start writing backups to an appandable tape, but will span backups to an Overwritable Media only.

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Query

- I've created a Media Set with a retention period of 1 week

- So for the first time I've inserted 3 tapes which are required for a full backup job. So after inserting if I associate these tapes with the Media Set I created will it pick up the tapes from the Media Set itself or do i need to have some tapes in the Scratch Media

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If those tapes are new, or have been erased, they will be moved to the Scratch media set.

AmolB

Initially put the tapes in the scratch media. In the backup job properties select the

media set that you created. When you will kick off the job the tape will be picked up

from the scratch media. Once the job is completed you will find the tape in the media

set which is associated with the job.

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

- Suppose Initially only I associate these tapes with the Media Set with a retention period of 1 week.

- I associated the tapes on 6th Jan.

- So what will happen in ths scenario.

AmolB

The tapes will become overwrite protected for 1 week from 6th Jan.

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

- So for the first time I've no option but to keep those tapes in the scratch media set only.

- Afterwards it will automatically pick up the tapes from the relevant media set depending if the tapes are overwritable.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AmolB

You are right. Job will look for an overwritable media in the Media set assigned to the

job if there are no overwritable tapes then BE will look into scratch media.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Along with Overwrite protection period, You could have set Append period also for the FULL media set. So when you moved 5 tapes manually those became Overwrite protected till 12 Jan and appendable till X days(Append Period). That's why BE started writing to first tape and after completing that it is waiting for an overwritable media which is not available. As all the guys already said only solution will be to move the remaining 4 tapes in FULL media set to SCRATCH.

Regards..

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes. But if you are moving tapes into mediaset manually for ensuring that backup will be written to that particular medias only, then Partitioning your library will be the better choice. As i can see in the screenshot there are no barcode labels also.