cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 - Agent cannot be installed

chudless
Level 4

This is the second of my two issues, the other one is about SP1a which I just posted, and again because I can't log a call with support - that word is an oxymoron with Symantec I believe.

I have one server that will not allow the installation of the agent, each time I try I get the Fatal Error but no more information. This happened after removing the agent (after I'd redone the media server so as to get a 'clean & fresh start') and trying to re-install the agent. All other servers that the media server pushed the agent to have no issues and the install went fine.

I have cleaned the registry, ensure all files are deleted on the server to get the Agent but still unable to install. It fails on both a remote push install from the media server and on a local installation. What really confused me was when the local installation failed, I've never seen that in many editions of this product.

This is a mission critical server, I really need to get it resolved as it's not being backed up and the data on this server (if lost) could cost the company millions (seriously, I kid you not).

I've scoured the net, tried most things I could find subjects on and so on but all to no avail.

Urgent help needed. Thank you in advanced anticipation :)

JP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the TN below helps with that, so run through it and follow the steps. THEN try installing BE 2010 R3's RAWS agent...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH8798

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi What is the error in installation log directory when you try installing remote agent locally, if you don't know the location, then check it In, C-program data -application-symantec, considering the remote server as win2008,look for installation log, if there is any thing like error code 2 ,please ensure from were you are installing remote agent ,that is the directory from were you are installing this, ensure you have added system account and the account you have logged on to server with full control, so for example if you have kept raws32 or rawsx64 folder to to root of C then right click on raws directory to add those 2 accounts. Thanks

chudless
Level 4

Here's the error I get at the moment in the attachment

CraigV

...any firewalls/AV running on the server in question? Can you turn them off and try the installation again?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Please check if this link applies in your case http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169513 Also please have a look at manually removing remote agent for backupexec,considering you have already tried it removing so link will help in cross verifying it. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67216 Thanks

chudless
Level 4

Tried that before, but tried again and exactly same error message in the logs

chudless
Level 4

First link:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3871640793-1561553363-164305601-4224\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion   does not exist in my registry.

Second link;

There were a couple of keys in there that I'd missed, rebooting it now and will let you know how it goes

chudless
Level 4

Failed again, same error

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Hmm, is it still giving same error in the log file, could you attach the full log file here. Also please use this Micorosoft tol called fix it ,see if that helps in fixing , http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/ Hope that helps. Thanks

chudless
Level 4

Here is the full Log file

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is the OS of the server that you are trying to install the RAWS?

See whether this helps.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/fix-error-1603-when-trying-push-install-agent-windows-backup-exec-2012

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Are you trying to install remote agent on Same machine which is your Media server ,becuase from the logs I see which is it looks like

So if you are trying to install remote agent on same machine which is Media server ,means your backup server you cannot do it as Backup exec installation already contains installable for remote agent & remote agent is already installed on it so you don't have to do it seprately. Or Backup exec remote agent is alread installed on that machine and still you are trying to install on top of it

From the logs I see

08-04-2012,17:22:34 : EnumProcesses Counts: 68
08-04-2012,17:22:34 : Windows Operating System Version: 6.0
08-04-2012,17:22:34 : GetProductInfo returned success. Checking for CORE OS values.
08-04-2012,17:22:36 : Executing managed _Setup:
08-04-2012,17:22:36 : C:\Program Files\Symantec\RAWSX64\install\_Setup.exe
08-04-2012,17:22:37 : Loading XML from:
08-04-2012,17:22:37 : C:\Program Files\Symantec\RAWSX64\install\IFProducts.xml
08-04-2012,17:22:37 : ArgsDataParser::InitDictionary
08-04-2012,17:22:37 : AgentSeqDlgs::RawsDlgSequence
08-04-2012,17:22:37 : Set RAWS Media path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\RAWSX64\install\media\

Thanks

chudless
Level 4

No I'm not. I would imagine that log file is showing you attempted local installs I have tried as well as the remote push installs....both of which fail with the same error.

CraigV

To quote from the OP's first post...

"I have one server that will not allow the installation of the agent, each time I try I get the Fatal Error but no more information. This happened after removing the agent (after I'd redone the media server so as to get a 'clean & fresh start') and trying to re-install the agent. All other servers that the media server pushed the agent to have no issues and the install went fine."

...that simply indicates where the source and destination are from/going to...wink

chudless
Level 4

Ok..sorry, what's your point?

CraigV

...point being made isn't directed at you...wink

chudless
Level 4

Any more ideas people, I'm going mental over this issue and not being able to back up data.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have you tried to disable UAC on the failing server ?

chudless
Level 4

I haven't but gladly shall try

chudless
Level 4

Ok, gladly tried it....but still fails