Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 - How do you find the backup tapes to send offsite for a given job

Spyda1999
Level 3

BE2012 - How do you find the backup tapes to send offsite for a given job

* help please *

With the new changes for backup exec - you can't easily identify the backup tapes used for both full and incremental backups.

We previously had one or two backup jobs for our small sever environment – within the backup job it listed under ‘device and storage’ the backup tapes used for that job for all our servers.

Now under the server centric model, I have to click each server and locate or check the tape number for that job.

I’m not sure if its me or I don’t know how to drive the program, but is there a way to get the tape number for our weekly backup job like under the old version.

The new changes for backup exec don't seem to show you the tape number for a given backup jobs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Then no resolution to it for now. Somewhere i read, symantec is going to reintroduce the capability to backup more than one server with a single job. May or may not be with R2. Once that feature comes, you can get the details from one job log. If i can find the link to that announcement i will share it.

But have you tried using the exporting or reports?

Try Recenty written media report with 18 or 24 hours period, depending on the gap between job completion time and report running time.

EDIT: With immediate next release of BE: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backing-more-one-server-job-be-2012

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are using a tape library, then add an export stage to your backup.  This will move the tape that was just used to the mailslot.  The mailslot has to be enabled for the export to work.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

......I think media required for recovery would be helpful to you in finding it... (You can select a server and time period, but not a job).

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Create a Media Vault:

Use the export Job to move all the media to Vault and Identify the media required for Moving them to Offsite.

Creating media vault rules to move media to and from media vaults

About media vaults

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How is he going to identify the media to move to the vault?

Spyda1999
Level 3

Thank you everyone for your comments so far.  But what I'm really after is to identify the tape numbers to send off site like in the previous versions of backup exec.  I don't know why this is so difficult now, but the previous version you simply selected the job and looked under device & storage for a list of tape numbers. 

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think you are referring to Job Log. Even with BE 2012 also this information will be provided in job log.

Only problem you might face now with 2012 is, you mmight need to check 10 job logs to find out the media used instead of checking one job log in earlier versions.

Double click on the server, click on job history and double click on any entry to see job log (for that occurance).

Attached is the image showing media label. As i am using disk it is sowing B2D labels.

Spyda1999
Level 3

Thanks again - but this is exactly the problem.  You need to check 10 logs to work out what tapes to send off site.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Then no resolution to it for now. Somewhere i read, symantec is going to reintroduce the capability to backup more than one server with a single job. May or may not be with R2. Once that feature comes, you can get the details from one job log. If i can find the link to that announcement i will share it.

But have you tried using the exporting or reports?

Try Recenty written media report with 18 or 24 hours period, depending on the gap between job completion time and report running time.

EDIT: With immediate next release of BE: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backing-more-one-server-job-be-2012