cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 Missing Robotic Library for HP 1/8 Autoloader

Chris_M1
Level 3

Hi,

We've just installed a new tape drive, and when going into Backup Exec 2012 there is no Robotic Library showing. BE seems to see the tape drive without any problems (we're using Symantec drivers) but fails to see the Autoloader.

The tape drive is an HP StoreEver 1/8 G2 LTO-6 Ult 6250 SAS Autoloader, connected to a Windows Server 2008 R2 box via an Adaptec ASC-1045/1405 SAS HBA.

BE is up to date, and after the installation on the server we used the Symantec drivers. The server was rebooted last night, however all that can be seen is the drive and there is no entry for Robotic Libraries in Backup Exec.

Any ideas on how I could resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Chris,

What Windows sees, BE sees. So make sure that Device Manager lists the robotics as Unknown Medium Changer (if not, change the driver to reflect this).

Also, just looking at the specs of that card, it states it has support for tape drives...nothing about autoloaders or libraries, so I'd recommend that you follow up on this and double-check that you can connect a library to the card.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV

Hi Chris,

What Windows sees, BE sees. So make sure that Device Manager lists the robotics as Unknown Medium Changer (if not, change the driver to reflect this).

Also, just looking at the specs of that card, it states it has support for tape drives...nothing about autoloaders or libraries, so I'd recommend that you follow up on this and double-check that you can connect a library to the card.

Thanks!

Chris_M1
Level 3

Thanks Craig,

I didn't think to check that - there is no Medium Changer listed in device manager. I'm sure I installed the most recent drivers for the tape drive, however I will go and check, re-install and come back with the results.

Am I right in thinking that if that doesn't work, then the problem would definitely be the card (i.e. Windows won't be able to see the autoloader if the SAS card doesn't support them?

Thanks,

Chris

CraigV

Most definitely...if it doesn't support libraries/autoloaders (both these devices have multiple IDs for the robotics and drive/s), then you're stuck. The easiest way around this is to find a card that does support libraries and test it accordingly.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Make sure that you are not using a HBA with RAID support.

Chris_M1
Level 3

Hi,

After checking with the manufacturer, it seems that the card has not been tested on this model of tape drive, and that they have had at least one other issue with the tape drive being visible but not the autoloader - thanks for the pointer on that Craig.

Will be returning the card for credit, and in the meantime have asked our reseller to source an HP card that is known to work (although a brief conversation with someone at HP seemed to indicate that none of their SAS controller cards had been tested with this model...).

pkh - why should the HBA not have RAID support, could you explain that at all?

Thanks,

Chris

pkh
   VIP    Certified

... because BE does not support HBA's with RAID capabilities.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Check the recommended HBAs in the HP Quickspecs

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11739_div/11739_div.html

Page 25:

HP SC11Xe Host Bus Adapter
NOTE: Recommended SCSI HBA for connecting Ultrium tape drives to G6/G7/Gen8 ProLiant servers.
412911-B21
HP H222 Host Bus Adapter
NOTE: Recommended SAS HBA for connecting Ultrium tape drives to Gen8 ProLiant servers.
650926-B21
HP Smart Array P222
NOTE: SAS HBA for connecting Ultrium tape drives to Gen8 ProLiant servers.
631667-B21
HP Smart Array P212
NOTE: Recommended SAS HBA for connecting Ultrium tape drives to G6/G7 ProLiant servers.
462828-B21

CraigV

HP SC44Ge SAS Host Bus Adapter (416096-B21)

HP Product Bulletin lists the card above as supported for your 1/8 autoloader...a reseller can verify this!

THanks!

CraigV

...read the OP's question initially where he states that he is using a StoreEver 1/8 autoloader...not a stand-alone tape drive. Your QS are firstly, for the incorrect device, and secondly don't even have LTO6 listed!

Thanks!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for pointing that.

Here you can find the correct quickspecs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12630_na/12630_na.PDF

List of HBAs is also displayed in this quickspecs (and even more)

Chris_M1
Level 3

Thanks for the replies, I originally asked my reseller to verify if the HP Smart Array P212 SAS Controller (Part Number 462834-B21) was compatible, and will now go back to them regarding the HP SC44Ge SAS Host Bus Adapter (416096-B21) as per your suggestion Craig.

Hopefully I'll get an answer back shortly and I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Chris

CraigV

...my personal preference (as an engineer, and now architect) is for a dedicated controller, not RAID controller. You know you're getting a card specifically designed just to handle an external device like a library.

Thanks!

Chris_M1
Level 3

Hi,

Well I've just had an email from my reseller saying that HP recommend the HP H222 SAS Controller (650926-B21), so I'm going to go with that I think and see how I get on.

I'll post back with the result, but in the meantime I've marked Craig's earlier response as the answer since, well, he was right!

Thanks,

Chris