cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 VTL End Marker Unreadable

IGotBojacked
Level 3

Hello, I have a Overland 4500 that I am using with BE 2012.  My VIRTUAL tapes are getting the dreaded End Marker Unreadable error.  The Tier 2 tech support at Symantec suggested I erase the tape, when I told her this would erase the data on the tape she got agitated and marked the case as closed.  Erasing the tape did not resolve the issue.

I do not believe it is the Overland device, as it was working perfectly with version 12 of BE.

If this is the fix is it included in the live update?  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189571&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

5 REPLIES 5

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The link points to a Device Driver Installation update. You could manually download it and apply the update. Once this is done, attempt to install the drives using tapeinst.exe

IGotBojacked
Level 3

Is this link included in the live update?   http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189571&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

What is the tapeinst.exe ?  Where is it located?  What does it do?

These are not physical tapes, this is a virtual tape library.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, it is available for install using Liveupdate. However, it will be visible after you have installed SP1a.

Tapeinst.exe is a utility used to uninstall/install Symantec tape drivers to the tape drive on the server. It is in the Backup Exec install folder (Default - C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec). Apologies, did not note that it is a VTL. you need not use this file to update the dirvers.

Only install the Hotfix, reboot the server is it prompts to and you should be good.

IGotBojacked
Level 3

Jaydeep, you have lost me.  Should I install the Hotfix, SP1a or ??

IGotBojacked
Level 3

Jaydeep, do you have any other suggestions for the "End Marker Unreadable" errors that I am getting?

Anything?