cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 with Dell TL2000 SAS

Jeffrey_Sweeney
Level 3

I've downloaded and installed BE 2012 as we are considering upgrading both our server OS's and the corresponding version of BE so as to be compatible with the new OS.  As a test I installed BE 2012 on a Win 2008R2 server.  The install was bumpy as best because there was reminance of a BE 12.5 install on the server still.  Having gotten past that hurdle, I was able to get BE 2012 up and running to an extent.  At this point in time it recognizes the tape library, sees the drive in the library but says there are no tapes in the device.  I've installed 15 new tapes complete with bar code labels.  Running an inventory of the unit from the unit shows the tapes in place.  However, when I look at the slot contents within BE it shows every slot as Empty.  I 'm scratching my head.  Any ideas?

27 REPLIES 27

Jeffrey_Sweeney
Level 3

I'm running a dedicated Dell PERC 5/E SAS controller.  It is supported per the Dell documentation. 

Jeffrey_Sweeney
Level 3

To give you a better idea of the timing of things, here is what is happening:

Start machine with BE set to start manually. Library and tape remain visable via OS device manager

Enabled BE

Opened BE - discovering devices in Storage tab screen

System Event:  Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.

System Event:  The device, \Device\RaidPort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

Application Event:  Backup Exec Alert: Storage Error (Server: "JSQL-FS") The drive hardware is offline.

BE showed offline and the library and tape disappeared concurrently.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I do not see the PERC 5/E on http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907 or http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/stor-sys/matrix/PVMatrix/PVmatrix.pdf

What is the URL for the Dell documentation you saw?

I believe that the PERC 5/E is different than the SAS 5/E.

Jeffrey_Sweeney
Level 3

!#$!@#, right you are.  OK, let me investigate an alternate solution. 

Jeffrey_Sweeney
Level 3

OK, just ordered a Dell SAS 5/E  (non PERC variety).  More info to follow. Thanks for your help up until this point.

Jeff

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do make sure that it does not have RAID capabilities. Otherwise, it is not supported.

Jeffrey_Sweeney
Level 3

I was so certain that I would be done now.  Put the new controller card in, when through the process of updating drivers etc, eveything looks good except it shows No Media in the tape drive which brings us full circle.  BE, I've spent over 3 days and now over $150 in new hardare to try to remain brand loyal but your latest  prduct is unfriendly, difficult to work with and in my case just doesn't work.  I knwo it isn't the hardware because BE 12.5 works with the same hardware just fine.  Everything is updated and supposedly supported.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you power cycle both the server and the library after you have installed your new card?