cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2014 SP2 duplicate to tape question

Yan_Thung_Seng
Level 4

Dear all,

I have a pair of BE 12 servers with enterprise server option. 1 BE MMS at production site to backup production servers. 1 BE Caso at DR site with tape library attached. Optimized dedupe is configured from MMS to CASO, than vault to tape on monthly basis. we have 20 jobs as each job for 1 server. Work fine with BE12 bugs.

To eliminate bugs and weaknesses of BE 12, we have upgraded to BE 14. We encountered problem on vaulting to tape. The tape media are configured with retention of 365 days. Th problem is, when 1st duplication to tape job completed, it will prompt for overwriteble tape media eventhough the tape capacity is only 5% used for the first job. By right the subsequent job shall continue to append to it until reaching tape capacity.

I believe it is a configuration problem however I have searched thru the UI but couldn't find place to fine tune. Hope to gain expect here for englightenment.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
To append to a tape, you must set the AP long enough so that the take is appendable. See the document below. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459 Also the job must specify append

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you mean that the job starts, uses remaining space on the first tape (as an append) and once that first tape is full then asks for overwriteable then that is how Backup Exec works as tapes cannot belong to mulitple families

BE can ONLY append to the first tape used by a single job (which is why the Append setting in the job configuration is within a box that is named to indicate that the choice only occurs at the start) any subsequenct tapes requies by teh same job (2nd 3rd , 4th etc) MUST be an overwritre operation.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
To append to a tape, you must set the AP long enough so that the take is appendable. See the document below. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459 Also the job must specify append