cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 8.6 not doing ANYthing - no errors

Sam_Dunham
Level 2
I've got 8.6 with all of the latest patches installed and the application won't DO anything. I can load it and look at the jobs, alerts (of which there are none), devices, media, etc... But it won't start a job. ANY job. Won't catalogue a tape, won't backup (AFAIK - since there are no alerts and no job logs for anything recent), won't restore (when I try to restore, the windows that should let me select things to restore just says "All Volumes" and the check box is greyed out). I've got no error messages, no errors in the event log, no nothing. All of the BE services are started and running fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sam
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Does the tape unit appear in the Devices Tab?

As for the Restore Window, is the catalog path set properly? Have any jobs ever completed successfully?

Have you tried stopping all BackupExec services, deleteing everything EXCEPT the *.U01 files in the ..\Catalogs folder and restarting the services?

Sam_Dunham
Level 2
The device (and the mounted media) appears in the devices tab. Everything >looks< like it should be fine. Jobs have completed successfully, I just don't have any indication that they have done so lately.

I'll check the other stuff you mentioned and see if that helps, thanks!

-Sam

Sam_Dunham
Level 2
The path to the catalogue is correct. There are no *.U01 files in the catalogs folder. I did stop the services and move everything out of the folder and restart the services, though. No change. Incidentally, in the restore window, pretty much everything on every tab is greyed out.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Well, if there are no U01 files, there are no catalogs, therefore nothing to restore

From Windows Device Manager, is the tape drive started ready?

Sam_Dunham
Level 2
Yep. Everything's kosher in Device Manager.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
IF you shut down all BackupExec services, does NTBackup see and access the tape drive properly?