cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 9.1 and SQL db's

S_T_2
Level 4
HI!

I want to know what's the difference in backing up SQL using the regular backup vs SQL agent?

I'm connecting the SQL server via remote agent and backing up the directory but is it really backing up? How would i restore if needed - i mean is it just like a plain file that can be restored?

THANKS!!

ST
10 REPLIES 10

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As long as SQL Server is running, you will not be able to grab any SQL databases or indexes on that server with a flat file backup.

If you don't want to spend the money for SQL Agent, and have the disk space availble, you can use SQL maintenance and dump the databases to BKF files, and then grab those with a flat file backup. 'Course this would mean a two step restore - first restore the BKF file, then use SQL to restore from the BKF file to the database.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Hi,

Ken is correct, but I would like to add that the two step restore is occassionally a better option (IMO) than the Veritas based restore. This is because

- Every MS document you read on recovering an SQL server provides steps for restoring data from a flat file backup. Veritas rarely has a problem restoring a flat file, but if you read these forums you'll see plenty of issues restoring SQL databases. If you run into an issue, Microsoft actually has support.

- You will find it easier to coincide flat file backups of dumps created by Enterprise Manager with transaction logging, etc... should require it.

To answer your question of "is it really backing up", Veritas has the "Active File Exclusion" feature which, according to the documentation, will prevent you from being alerted when files are missed if they involve Exchange or SQL server.

I always get "skipped" warnings but that's beside the point. The only way you know if your backups are working are when you take them into the lab and perform a test disaster recovery, which I implore everybody to do regularly.

S_T_2
Level 4
SO, does that mean even though i select the .mdb .edb, etc to backup, it is not? THAT's not good.

ST

S_T_2
Level 4
Joshua-
What is IMO?

Is there a way to stop SQL prior to backup to back it up?

THANKS.

ST

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As long as SQL and/or Exchange is running that is correct.

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
IMO means "In My Opinion".

Yes, you can stop SQL with this dos command:

net stop sqlserver

But really, why do you want to do this? You've been given two options for backing up a system while it is running, and these are the only two options you will ever get support for.

As to it being "not good", well I can see how it would sound that way, but what you're asking is really something Veritas could never do in a way which is "technically" good.

Databases are complex systems, and to simply backup an in use file is almost guaranteed to produce an inconsistent file, even if an open file option did let you do it (Note: VSS is special).

Stopping the database might suit your needs, but very few people who have purchased backup systems such as Veritas want to then go back and use obsolete backup methods such as stopping services.

As suggested, either purchase the Veritas SQL Agent, or configure a "Database Maintenance Job" in the SQL Enterprise Manager to backup your database to a file every night, just before Veritas backs up your system. Those files will go to tape and you have a working backup.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hello,

Without a SQL agent, you can very well perform a flat file backup, i.e., a backup when the SQL services are not running and the database is not active. This is called as a offline or a flat file backup.

When you have a SQL Agent running you are entitled to perform an online backup, i.e., you dont have to shut down the SQL services or log out the users when backup is running.

For more Information :

http://support.veritas.com/docs/272834

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
business days, this post would be marked "assumed
answered" and would be moved to "answered
questions"pool.

S_T_2
Level 4
THanks Ken.

S_T_2
Level 4
THanks Josua for your explanations and help.

Since i'm not a sql person, i dont know what's involved in the db maintenenace so stoping the service sounded easier than anything else.

thanks again.

ST

S_T_2
Level 4
Hi Shyam.

THanks for your help too!
Since you are Veritas, last question... even if i have the OFO running, will it still not backup? Why is the db file available to restore if the backup is supposed to skip active files?

THANKS AGAIN!!

ST