cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Agent for Windows won't install - Error code 1603 Microsoft VC++ Redistributables 2012 x64

JonathonM31
Level 3

Hello all,

My team and I have been dealing with this issue for quite a while now. We are trying to upgrade the BE agent on our server. It is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter with Service Pack 1.

We previously had BE agent 2010 on it. When we uninstall 2010 and try to install BE agent 14.1 it gives us an error code 1603 saying that the Microsoft VC++ Redistributables 2012 is not the current version.

We have checked and verified that it is indeed the current version. We have been on and off the phone with Symantec support and Microsoft support for weeks now and still no resolution.

Things we have tried are:

- windows updates

- moving the RAWSx64 folder and VCredist to the C: drive for local install

- moving the RAWSx64 and VCredist folder to desktop for local install

- push install of BE agent

- clean install from disc

- creating a directory C:\program files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Agents\ where I have RAWSx64 and VCredist along with all of the other items located in agents

and just about every other option on the support forums.

I have read about the security update 2918614 from Microsoft and installing the patch 3000988.

I installed the new patch update and it did not work.

I tried deleting the update 2918614 and still did not work.

I have tried copying the RAWSx64 and VCredist and MSXML to the C: drive and running setup however I get an error saying it cannot run because it failed the checksum requirements. ( I copied those files from the ISO image file).

Here is the error I get in the log:

12-22-2014,11:03:21 : C:\Agents\VCRedist\V10.0\vcredist_x64.exe /q /norestart /log "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\V10.0_x64_msruntime_install.log"
+ 12-22-2014,11:03:21 : ERROR - 1314: Failed to load user profile for DOMAIN\USER.
12-22-2014,11:03:21 : Return Value of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (x64) : 1603
+ 12-22-2014,11:03:21 : V-225-299: ERROR: Failed to execute VC 10.0 runtime installer. Error code 1603. ***To search for information about this error, click here
+ 12-22-2014,11:03:21 : Review this log file for details: C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\V10.0_x64_msruntime_install.log
12-22-2014,11:03:22 : The return value for Microsoft VC++ Redistributables (x64) returned error code: 1603
12-22-2014,11:03:22 : Clean up Symantec installer keys.
12-22-2014,11:03:25 : AgentSeqDlgs::Misc_BE_CommonOps
12-22-2014,11:03:25 : Dialog Sequence Returning errorlevel 1603
+ 12-22-2014,11:03:25 : The Installation Failed!

Any other solutions or ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JonathonM31
Level 3

Finally figured it out.

The way I got it to work was by doing a push install with a few exceptions.

Firstly, I went to my media server (The one with the backup exec installed on it), I then went to the install agents tab. Here is where you can list the servers that you want to "push" install. I clicked on add > and then I found our server. Once the server was added it asks you to provide credentials and the domain.

!!IMPORTANT!!

Make sure you use the BackupExec account and credentials and then your domain name.

It will look like this:

[Server: ex192.192.192.192]

Username: BackupExec

Password: password

Domain: myDomain

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After this, the push install will attempt to validate your server (this could take a couple of minutes). After it verifies it will prompt you to continue with the install. Follow the remaining steps and it should work. IF it doens't, ensure that you have set permission for the media server to connect and overwrite files on the affected server.

PLEASE NOTE:

I did not have the affected server open in a different RDC window. I only had the media server opened. (I have no idea if this really helped it, but after dealing with this issue for 3 weeks now I like to think it did).

This should hopefully work for you. If it does not, try local installing on the server or machine but be sure that you grab the RAWS folder from the C:/programfiles/symantec/backupexec/agents/ folder as well as the VCredist folder from the BackupExec account. Then log in to the affected serve using the backupexec account (be sure it has administrative permissions).

If it does not work, try rebooting and trying again or search the Symantec forums for the alternate solutions.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

From the remote server try right clicking on the “browser.exe" in the RAWS folder you copied over, and select "Run as Administrator"

JonathonM31
Level 3

I tried running the Browser.exe file again and I still get the same error.

JonathonM31
Level 3

I have tried running the setup file with VCredist V10.0 installed and V11.0 installed and still get the same error as well.

JonathonM31
Level 3

I have also tried the three methods in the article - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH179142#Push_Install

Which are push install, local install, and silent command install. Whether I push or local install I still receive the same error code as mentioned above. I have rebooted numerous amounts of times. I have also checked the registry for any remaining traces of the old backup exec agent - completely clean.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

2 things:

1. Turn off any AV installed and try the local installation once more;

2. Create a unique domain admin account and make sure it definitely is part of the Local Admins group on that server. Then try the installation again.

Thanks!

JonathonM31
Level 3

By AV are you referring to Anti-Virus? If so, we have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed for that.

JonathonM31
Level 3

I tried disabling AV and I tried installing from the local admin for this server and still received the same error.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

JonathonM31,

Can you verify the service pack that is currently installed for Backup Exec?

JonathonM31
Level 3

The server is SP1.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Try installing the latest service pack (2) that was released last week. The service pack can be found at the following link: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH225093   

Once installed reboot the Backup Exec server and try a push update to the agent in question by right clicking on the server from the Backup Exec console and selecting "Update".

JonathonM31
Level 3

We have been able to install the agent on multiple other servers without having to do this update - but will look in to it.

This server does not want to accept the VC++ redistributables. I have tried logging in with a local admin and running the files however I still get the same error saying:

+ 12-22-2014,11:03:21 : ERROR - 1314: Failed to load user profile for DOMAIN\USER.
12-22-2014,11:03:21 : Return Value of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable (x64) : 1603
+ 12-22-2014,11:03:21 : V-225-299: ERROR: Failed to execute VC 10.0 runtime installer. Error code 1603. ***To search for information about this error, click here
+ 12-22-2014,11:03:21 : Review this log file for details: C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\V10.0_x64_msruntime_install.log
12-22-2014,11:03:22 : The return value for Microsoft VC++ Redistributables (x64) returned error code: 1603
12-22-2014,11:03:22 : Clean up Symantec installer keys.
12-22-2014,11:03:25 : AgentSeqDlgs::Misc_BE_CommonOps
12-22-2014,11:03:25 : Dialog Sequence Returning errorlevel 1603
+ 12-22-2014,11:03:25 : The Installation Failed!"

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

JonathonM31,

I would suggest to confirm the services are running under the correct account and configured as follows:

For the Local System

Backup Exec Error Recording Service

Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows

For the BESA (Backup Exec System Logon Account:(

Backup Exec Agent Browser

Backup Exec Device & Media Service

Backup Exec Job Engine

Backup Exec Management Service

Backup Exec Server

If after verifying services are configured correctly and installing Service Pack 2 you are still unable to update the agent, you may want to consider opening up a support ticket. If you PM me with your information, I am happy to start that process for you.

JonathonM31
Level 3

Laurie_Downey,

We have already opened up a work ticket with you guys and the problem is still not resolved - this is going on 5 days now.

We have been transferred back and forth from "technicians" to "engineers" and somehow we keep getting a hold of the same "technician" who has not been able to help resolve our issue. He has suggested solutions that we have already tried, numerous times, as stated above in my orignal post.

We have called requesting additional support from a higher tier but keep getting assigned to the same technician.

After countless hours of phone support, we have decided to result in the internet - in which I have looked over pages of pages of forumns all saying the same thing and suggesting the same solutions.

I have tried everything, from every single page, from every single poster who has been marked "solved" and it does nothing but produce the same result.

My logon account is a member of the domain administrators group and our server has been updated with GPO. I have also tried the local admin account whihc has super admin permissions and the same error is produced.

I am able to install Backup Exec agent 2010 R2 on the server because it does not require the distributables. In the Backup Exec 14 console - it shows that the server is "Ready to upgrade from the version 2010 R2 to 2014 (14.1.186.0)" - I try to run the push installation and I get the same error code.

I try doing local install, with every possible method (i.e. copying RAWSx64 from the media server and the VCredist from the disc and putting on the local C:\, copying the RAWSx64 + VCredist + MSXML and same thing, etc.) every solution produces the same result.

Support took event logs today by running the Symantec help tool - and we are awaiting the results by 4:30 Mountain time (it is currently 4:12 with still no call.)

It has nothing to do with the Microsoft Security update 2918614 because the servers that successfully installed the agent have that same update installed. I even tried installing the "fix" 3000988 and that did not work, I tried uninstalling the 2918614 update and leaving the 3000988 update and that still did not work.

Every solution named - we have done it.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

JonathonM31,

If you would like to PM me with your support case number, I am happy to review the logs attached and can assist with the case handling process if needed.

JonathonM31
Level 3

PM sent.

All those services are running that you mentioned above. I will install SP2 tomorrow when the rest of my team is here.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See Workaround A of this document.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH218124

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

You can also refer to the following information that may resolve the issue:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH216835

JonathonM31
Level 3

PKH,

I have seen your posts in numerous other threads. I have tried those solutions - as stated above in my comments. Still receieve the same error.

JonathonM31
Level 3

Finally figured it out.

The way I got it to work was by doing a push install with a few exceptions.

Firstly, I went to my media server (The one with the backup exec installed on it), I then went to the install agents tab. Here is where you can list the servers that you want to "push" install. I clicked on add > and then I found our server. Once the server was added it asks you to provide credentials and the domain.

!!IMPORTANT!!

Make sure you use the BackupExec account and credentials and then your domain name.

It will look like this:

[Server: ex192.192.192.192]

Username: BackupExec

Password: password

Domain: myDomain

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After this, the push install will attempt to validate your server (this could take a couple of minutes). After it verifies it will prompt you to continue with the install. Follow the remaining steps and it should work. IF it doens't, ensure that you have set permission for the media server to connect and overwrite files on the affected server.

PLEASE NOTE:

I did not have the affected server open in a different RDC window. I only had the media server opened. (I have no idea if this really helped it, but after dealing with this issue for 3 weeks now I like to think it did).

This should hopefully work for you. If it does not, try local installing on the server or machine but be sure that you grab the RAWS folder from the C:/programfiles/symantec/backupexec/agents/ folder as well as the VCredist folder from the BackupExec account. Then log in to the affected serve using the backupexec account (be sure it has administrative permissions).

If it does not work, try rebooting and trying again or search the Symantec forums for the alternate solutions.