cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Media Server V11 Rev. 7170

tedkilroy
Level 2

Trying to find out if there is a solution to my restore problem. Using Backup Exec in conjunction with NetApp, with the version listed above and trying to troubleshoot as to why I can not restore a directory and sub-directory/files in its proper tree structure?

When I restore, I choose a folder which has other folders in it and files, but it places just the files in the NetApp directory. Sounds confusing? If I restore Jdoe/pictures/summer/(files) to the NetApp Jdoe/pictures/summer, it will place the picture/files and summer/files into the root of Jdoe and I mean just files, no sub-folders.

Has anyone come across this problem before?

5 REPLIES 5

Lively
Level 5
It really sounds like that is the preserve tree setting.

If you go into the restore job properties, under general, there is a preserve tree check box.  If that box is not checked, the files will be dumped into the root of where you pointed the restore.

tedkilroy
Level 2
If I choose to preserve the tree, I get \\server\dir\jdoe\pics\\dir\jdoe\pics

It doubles the tree.

Lively
Level 5
It makes sense though that it doubled the tree.

When you are saying you are going to restore the file, it will try to restore to the exact same path that is backed up from.  So if you did the backup from c:\blah\dribble\stuff it will go back to that path.  When choosing the restore location you can just point it at the server and it should just put them in the folders as long as you pick the preserve tree option.

If you are just trying to restore one folder of stuff, you can always just redirect the restore to that one folder and uncheck the preserve tree.  You should note that unchecking the preserve tree option will greatly increase your restore time if you are trying to restore a lot of data.  When I had to deal with it previously on a 30 gig data restore with a large amount of files, the restore went from 2-3 hours to 10-12.

tedkilroy
Level 2
I guess the following information would of helped from the beginning, I am in testing mode, trying to virtulize some servers via vmware onto the NetApp, so the home folders of users presently don't exist on the NetApp. In testing one user folder in a share I already created on the Netapp, I have backed up the users folder/files, no problem.

But in restoring, I am working on two scenarios, restoring 1 file and restoring a whole folder. Though the chance is small that a user will delete a whole folder, users are users. When restoring a folder, I do not see/get an option to restore the actual folder and files inside of it. This is what i am trying to accomplish.

Instead, while preserving the tree, I get the redontit path i.e. \\server\jdoe\pics\mine\jdoe\pics\mine and without preserving the tree it places the the files of \mine into the root. If I manually createe the dir of \mine, I can get more finite in the path field when restoring and them it will place them in their for me.

I guess I can live with that, thought there had to be an option to to restore dir\sub-dir's\files for me.

Thanks for the help.

Lively
Level 5
I agree it would be nice to be able have the restore sub dirs come through a little bit nicer.  After the first of 16 30 gig restores we decided to keep the file structure.