cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE Server 12.5 - The tool "Install Agents and ..." won't run.

mafe
Level 2
Hi there

I've been having some problems lately with our BE Server's ability to install Agents on remote servers.

Specs:
Windows Server 2008 SP1 x64 - Fully updated via Windows Update.
BE 12.5.2213 SP1 - Hotfixes applied: 317053, 317412, 317920, 317966, 318328, 319237, 319239, 319699, 320467.

Every time I try to run the "Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers..." I get Windows box saying "Backup Exec Launcher has stopped working".
In the eventlog i get the following when it stops:
Faulting application setup.exe_Symantec Backup Exec™ for Windows Servers, version 12.5.2213.0, time stamp 0x48c55d6d, faulting module BEINSTDLGS.DLL, version 12.5.2213.503, time stamp 0x496badb1, exception code 0xc0000409, fault offset 0x000000000015b85f, process id 0xc4c, application start time 0x01c9ccbacc594e2c.

I've tried to download the files from Symantec again and to run "Setup.exe" from the new files, same error. Tried to use the original disk shipped with the server, same error.
When I try to change the installation in the "Programs and Features" menu, I get the same error - "Backup Exec Launcher has stopped working". I think I have the possibility to uninstall, but would rather not do that now because we have just finished entering all our jobs and have the system up and running.

So BE works fine, it's "just" the distribution of new agents (and the fact that I can't change the Symantec installation) that seems to be faulty.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Regards
Martin
5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Have you tried to do a repair of Backup Exec first? I am busy installing BE 12.5, but haven't seen this error yet...hopefully I don't =)

chicojrman
Level 6
. Download a new copy of the Backup exec 12.0(.ZIP) file from http://fileconnect.symantec.com
2. Extract the ZIP file into a NEW FOLDER...For Eg: D:\BE12
3. Stop All Backup exec Services (Previous Version...Do not Stop SQL server (BKUPEXEC) Service)
4. Run the "browser.exe" and follow the installation steps.

mafe
Level 2
Hey

@CraigV - I do not have the "Repair" option in the Program and Features under the Symantec post. Only option that's not uninstall is "Change" - witch makes the installer crash.

@chicojrman - As I said, I have tried to download the newest files from Symantec, and it still crashes during the installer, no matter if i select the browse.exe or setup.exe file from the new files.

Keep the suggestions comming :)

dizzle
Not applicable
 I have this same exact issue.  I cant get it to reinstall or install remote clients.  I installed the console on my local pc and i am able to do it from there but i still need it on the server.

yduscher
Not applicable
I have exactly the same problem since couple of months but with version 12.0 of BE and Windows server 2k3. I virtualized the concerned machine (P2V) to be able to reproduce this problem and to test some solution without success until now. Following tests were made:

- install all available patches, service packs of my BE => no success!
- install new copy of BE files => no success!
- install patches of OS, .NET, ......... !!! => no success!
- uninstall software after software until OS only stay on my harddisk! => no success!

I'm sorry, but I've no more idea about this problem. The only thing I'm sure: it's the last time I buy a Symantec product. sorry but this is not worthy of a company like Symantec to sell such products.

If anyone knows a solution to restore confidence in this brand... thank you.