cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE cannot see HP SureStore DLT 80e drive (Quantum DLT8000)

Gord_Philpott
Level 2
Hello all,

Reciently installed Backup Exec 10 on a fresh install of Windows 2003 SP1 server. For some reason I can't get BE to see the tape drive.

- It is listed in the Device manager as "QUANTUM DLT8000 SCSI Sequential Device", which as far as I know is correct.

- I have tried using the certified Windows device drivers and the Backup Exec tape drivers (via the tapeinst.exe program).

- I have installed the Service Pack 1 for Backup Exec 10.0, and the Hotfix 24 as well.

- Re-running the Tools --> Wizards --> Device Configuration Wizards... It does not find the device

- In the past, the tape drive worked with Backup Exec 9 and Windows 2003

Any assistance is appreciated.
--Gord.
4 REPLIES 4

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Gord,
try the following:
1) First check if your device is Compatible with the 10.x Version of Backupexec:
Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Robotic Library Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) (includes tested drives)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274348.htm

Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Standalone Drives Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274347.htm

If your Device is listed As tested use latest Veritas drivers.
If your device is listed as compatible, use OEM drivers.

2) Stop and Deactivate the RSM service of Windows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
You can also go through the following Articles:
How to resolve hardware communication/detection issues with Backup Exec
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237047.htm

How to troubleshoot issues with a Robotic Library or Tape Drive in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255501.htm
================================================
================================================
Hope this helps you. Please give us an Update.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Gord_Philpott
Level 2
Hello.

Thanks for the quick reply.

1. Hardware supported:
The tape drive is listed on the "Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Standalone Drives Hardware Compatibility List (HCL)" page. It is listed as "HP SureStore DLT 80e QUANTUM^DLT8000 SCSI DLT Tested".

The "Removable Storage Manager" service is stopped. It was set to Manual, and is now set to Disabled.

2. Hardware detected by OS:
I am using drivers provided by Veritas, although I don't think they are the latest version
I have updated them in "Section II, 1" of troubleshooting (noted below).
Driver Provider: VERITAS Software Inc.
Driver Date: 2/11/2004
Driver Version: 5.01 built b
Driver Signer: Not digitally signed

3. Firmware version:
Not known off hand. Windows Device Manager doesn't tell me the firmware version.

4 SCSI info:
The SCSI info for the tape drive is:
- Bus Number 1, Target ID 6, LUN 0
- It is connected to an "Adaptec SCSI RAID 2200s Controller", the same controller that was in the system when BE 9 was in use.

The troubleshooting guide at http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237047.htm
mentioned this paragraph, but I am unsure where to change these settings.
"Other settings such as the Sync Transfer Rate, Enable Disconnect, Initiate Sync Negotiation, and Initiate Wide Negotiation must be set properly. The Sync Transfer Rate needs to be set to a value between 5MB/sec and 40MB/sec, depending on the requirements of the hardware (i.e.: DLT drives have a Maximum Sync Transfer Rate of 10MB/sec with hardware compression). Most autoloaders and tape drives do not function properly if Enable Disconnect and/or Initiate Sync Negotiation are set to the default setting of YES. Enable Wide Negotiation should only be set to YES if the hardware uses a 68-pin cable and supports 16 bit data transfer. Consult the controller's hardware documentation to determine how to modify the settings in the controller's BIOS Setup Utility."

5. SCSI cable
- The same SCSI cable that was in use before is still in use, and connected in the same fashion.

Section II:
1. Downloaded latest drivers:
File downloaded: BACKUPEXECTAPEDEVICEDRIVERINSTALL_277619.EXE (20050315)
- Installed BACKUPEXECTAPEDEVICEDRIVERINSTALL_277619.EXE and rebooted server.
- Updated driver now installed:
Driver Provider: VERITAS Software Inc.
Driver Date: 11/11/2004
Driver Version: 5.1.1.1
Driver Signer: Not digitally signed

Section III:
- Exited Backup Exec, stopped BE Services and set to Manual
- Deleted SCSIChanger key in HKey_Local_Machine | System | CurrentControlSet | Services.
- Rebooted server, set BE Services to Automatic
- Ran Tools --> Wizard --> Device Configuration Wizard, still did not find the drive
- The troubleshooting guide suggested to re-run setup, but working remotely, I don't have the CD for BE in the drive.
"12. Run setup for Backup Exec and start the install process, select Enable Auto-loader/Robotic Library support and Tape device drivers for installation."

Any thoughts from here?
I do get an error on bootup in eventvwr:
Source: dlttape-VRTS
EventID: 15
Description: The device, \Device\Tape0, is not ready for access yet.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

It is not recommended to attach a tape drive to a RAID controller. Please refer the following document.
Title:
Why is it recommended that tape devices should not be connected to RAID controllers?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/191488

Please try attaching the drive to a SCSI controller and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Gord_Philpott
Level 2
I connected the tape drive to a different SCSI controller, and ran the Veritas Wizard for "hot-swapable devices", ... it found the device, installed the Veritas version of the driver and now it works.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance
--Gord.