cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE is slow to backup Exchange Server 2000

Stephane_Sylves
Level 2
Hi All,

I was using BE 8.6 with BE Exchange remote Agent to backup. It was slow when backup Exchange Mailbox.

Now, I've changed for BE 10d and the result is the same. It is slow. Less than 100mb / min. Normally, for all other folders it is around 400-500-600mb / min.

So, I'm wondering what is wrong with the way I proceed?

It takes around 13 hours for my backup to be complete!!!! I'm using a SDLT backup Drive and it is only 110 go to backup.

Anyway Q or Best Practice to help me guys?
3 REPLIES 3

Stephane_Sylves
Level 2
Nobody?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
That's because of the kludge that Veritas came up with to do brick level (mailbox) backups

Backup exec has to open an Outlook session, then attach to each mailbox in turn and READ each item using standard MAPI calls. This is EXTREMELY inefficient, especially over a network. We've seen reports of 10-12 MB/min on decent hardware for brick level backups

If you have windows 2003, and enough disk space, you can use the Recovery Storage Group to restore the whole data store and export the desired mailbox(es) to a pst and import into the production system

on 2000 or 5.5, about all you can really do is have a standby server to do the restore to, then again export to a PST

Read through hhttp://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm for more detail.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Please let us know if Ken's explanation helped you.

Thanks
Regards