cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE v10 upgrade planning

dlarouche
Level 3
For a customer, i have 2 server with backup exec 8.6 and 9.0 installed and running. I would like to centralize the backups on the first server. I am about to upgrade to latest version and use IDR module. Is it possible to buy an upgrade instead of full version? What would be an efficient architecture?
5 REPLIES 5

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
We would like to explain you in best possible way.

Backup Exec 10.0 does allow you to store the catalogs centraly and utilise the three backup servers more efficiently.

You will require the CASO or Central Admin Server Option to be installed on the server where you want to store the catalogs and the other two servers will be managed media servers which can be managed from the central server.

The best info regarding this will be available in the 10.0 administrators guide.

You can download it from the link given below.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269777.htm

Kindly refer to Page number 861 of Administration Manual of Backup Exec v10.x from the TN given above.

------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the upgrade from Backup Exec v8.6/9.0 to 10.x, refer the following

To upgrade from Backup Exec v8.x to Backup Exec 10.0 refer to the following steps:

1.Run Setup.exe, which is located in the installation CD or in the extracted folder

2. The VERITAS Backup Exec (TM) 9.x for Windows Servers dialog will be displayed. The Welcome screen is displayed.Click Next to proceed further.

3.Read the License Agreement, select I accept the terms of the license agreement, and click Next to continue with the installation

4. Select Local Install, and then select Install Backup Exec software and options Additionally, Remote Install can be selected so that Remote Agent for Windows Server and Options can be pushed to remote systems.

5. Listed below are the installation versions you can select from:

a. Evaluation: To install Backup Exec in Evaluation Mode for 60 days, leave the Serial Number field empty, and click Next to continue

b. Licensed: To install a licensed version of Backup Exec, insert the Product Activation Code in the Serial Number field, click Add, and then click Next to continue

6. Based on the serial number entered, various pre-selected options will be displayed Options with the red X indicate that these options will not be installed, as the serial number is not entered.

The destination folder can changed if needed. The default destination folder is \Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec.

7. While performing the upgrade, Backup Exec sets the option to store the Data and the Catalog folder of the earlier version on to a different folder

8. It is recommended to give the Backup Exec Service Account (BESA) a new domain user account belonging to the Domain Admins and Local Administrators groups. Insert the domain user account to be used for the Backup Exec services. If the account does not exist, Backup Exec will create it and add it to the Domain Admins and Local Administrators groups and the Logon as a Service right. Click OK to continue with the installation of the Backup Exec services

The following rights are granted to BESA:
Logon as a service
Act as a part of the operating system
Create a token object
9. After creating the Backup Exec Service Account, it gives an option to either install the Backup Exec MSDE instance on the existing SQL instance or create a separate MSDE instance

Note: The new feature in Backup Exec 10.0 is that the MSDE instance can be either stored locally or can be redirected to a local or remote SQL 2000 instance.

10. The process gives an option to install the latest Veritas Drivers
11. . The Backup Exec installation Overview is displayed

This can be printed, or can be modified by clicking Back. This is also saved under <>\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\ as InstallReview.htm if the install is successful.
Click Install to begin the installation

12. The installation begins and shows that the installation is on its way.
After the upgrade is over, the server has to be rebooted.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an additional information kindly refer to the following technote:-
--Upgrading from Backup Exec 7.x for Windows NT to Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/265163

Kindly refer the following technote link for more description.

Title:- Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/274569.htm

As an additional reference kindly refer the following technote link.
Title:- VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers Quick Installation Guide (English) http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269793.htm

dlarouche
Level 3
But considering what we currently have installed, what products or packages does i need to order?

Does the CASO is part of either actual full version we own, or it is an add-on? Same thing for the "managed media server", does a full backup server can be turned into a "managed media server" or it need an agent/option/upgrade.

What's about the actual version? I put them in the garbage? Or there is an "upgrade version" available for the V10?

In clear, if i write a purchase order, what would be included in it? And what is the approx pricing for the items?

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Greetings !!

Does the CASO is part of either actual full version we own, or it is an add-on? --> CASO is an add-on component and it is a paid option. License is required.

Same thing for the "managed media server", does a full backup server can be turned into a "managed media server" or it need an agent/option/upgrade.--> MMS options is also a paid option and license is required which is to be installed on the Backup Server.

If our understanding is correct, you wish to have a "centralize backups on the first server" which is Backup Exec v8.6

The procedure you need to follow is:

1. Upgrade both the servers ( 8.6 and 9.0) to BEWS 10.0
2. Install CASO and MMS license on respective servers

Refer page number 835 from the manual for more details.

What's about the actual version? I put them in the garbage? Or there is an "upgrade version" available for the V10?  “Actual version” will include base server edition license and to use any other feature you need to purchase the serial number. The important add-on options are mentioned in the technote below:
a.Central Admin Server Option (CASO)
b.Advanced Disk-Based Backup Option (ADBO)
c.Remote Agent for Linux/UNIX Servers (RALUS)
d.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274569

In clear, if i write a purchase order, what would be included in it? And what is the approx pricing for the items? --? Contact Sales

Hope this helps.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

Please update us on the query.

Thanks

dlarouche
Level 3
Thank you for the information