cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE ver 8.6

Mark_W_2
Level 2
Hello all:

Over the weekend, Backup Exec (BE) is no longer recognizing the Robotic Libraries drive. I located Document ID 249302 on the web site and performed the steps. Unfortunately, the steps did not work. I also removed all devices, too and then reinstalled. Still no luck. I would like other suggestions to try, thinking this would resolve my issue.

Any ideas for this? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mark
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you shut down BackupExec services, does NTBackup see and write to the Library OK?

Mark_W_2
Level 2
Hello Ken:

I have not specifically stopped the BE services to see if Windows NTBackup sees the device OK. I will try this and let you know the results. Thank you.

Mark

Mark_W_2
Level 2
Hello Ken:

I stopped the BE services and then started NTBackup. When I select the Backup process, the Backup Destination is grayed out and contains File. I can not use the drop down option to most likely change this to the tape device.

So it seems NTBackup does not see the tape device either. I guess I find this strange since it's seen OK in Device Manager, and the Removable Storage's Physical Properties shows the device is fine.

The device is an internal drive and BEDiag also finds/sees it's setting and serial number. It seems as though it's reading the drive when I select Run BEDiag since it's showing the date and time as current.

Any other suggestions to resolved this? Thank you.

Mark

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You're right, if Device Manager shows no problems, but both NTBackup and BackupExec don't see the device, something funky is going on.

have you tried removing the device and re-adding rom Device Manager? (with a boot between, jus tto clear out anything that may be haning around)

Mark_W_2
Level 2
Hello Ken:

Here is something really, really strange. After I performed the steps from the document ID listed in the first thread, the robotic library was still not recognized.

I then left the server alone last week Mon and Tue. On Wed morning, I noticed that Tue's backup worked. Then, Wed's and Thu's worked fine, too. So I thought the problem went as quickly as it came. I was wrong.

I noticed on Tue morning this week that Mon night's backup did not work. Again related to the error message referenced in the first thread's document from Symantec's web site.

I removed the backup tape magazine, shut down the server, restarted the Backup Exec services, disabled the device in Backup Exec, enabled the device in Backup Exec, and now it's working again (knock on wood).

Anyway, thanks for your input on this.

Mark