Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE12.5 Backup problem with EXCH 2007 SP1 - V-79-57344-891

rschweinberger
Level 3
Partner

Hello!

Recently, we ran into a problem with a new installation of BE12.5 designed to backup an Exchange Server 2007 SP1 CCR running on Windows Server 2008.

BE12.5 runs on 32-Bit Windows Server 2003. Requirements like Exchange Management Tools are installed in the needed versions.

When backing up, we use the standard option 'Backup passive copy first, if not available try active copy' (freely translated from our german version :)  ) .

We got an resource error E000037b saying that after Microsoft VSS creates the snapshot, the passive copy was not available. It also mentions Document V-79-57344-891, which is not available.

The eventlog on the mailbox cluster logged three related events:

1. Warning, Event-ID 2038 from MSExchangeRepl

2. Error, Event-ID 2034 from MSExchangeReepl

3. Information, Event-ID 964 from ESE Backup

All are related to VSS issues.

We tried to swith to 'backup from active copy only' and it works. GRT works also fine.

Anyone ran into the same issue or has anyone a clue for further searching?

Thanks in advance,

René

13 REPLIES 13

Anup
Level 6
Certified

Refer to this technote

A backup of Microsoft Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1 (SP1) database in a Cluster Continuous Replication (CCR) environment fails with the error "0xe000fe1f - The device cannot be found"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/297185

rschweinberger
Level 3
Partner

Hello!

Thanks for the hint. I followed the instructions and found a corresponding MS KB-Article (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998870(EXCHG.80).aspx) about Remote Streaming Backup.

I created the regkey on both nodes and restarted the CMS but I got the same errors as mentioned before.

Anup
Level 6
Certified

Try NON GRT backup  ?

rschweinberger
Level 3
Partner
No, didn't try that, because GRT is mandatory.

Anup
Level 6
Certified

Uncheck GRT and try a backup..and see if it compltes successfully.

Just for test perpose.

Try a backup through NTbackup utility of windows. 

rschweinberger
Level 3
Partner

ok, will try without GRT in the next maintanence window.

AFAIK, Windows Backup isn't Exchange-aware anymore in Windows Server 2008, according to the KB-Article mentinoed earlier. Will figure this on out, too.

thx

rschweinberger
Level 3
Partner

ok, tested backing up without GRT from the passive copy and it worked.

Seems, as GRT is the key to the problem. How can sort this out?

thx.

Anup
Level 6
Certified
Is there outlook installed on exchange node?

rschweinberger
Level 3
Partner

NO, there's only the MAPI client installed on the nodes.

Furthermore, there is ScanMail for Exchange installed for information store virus scan.

If we make a GRT-enabled backup of the active copy there's no problem in restore single mails or mailboxes.

JRB
Level 3

I'm also getting this error with GRT turned off, and it also works fine from the active node. Will check with Symmantec help line & see if I have any luck.

John

JRB
Level 3

Just spoke to Symantec, and its a known issue. See article here; http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/314334.htm

So I guess we wait !

John

Eck
Level 2

Just wanted to add that this issue also exists with single server deployments using LCR.  It is intermittent in that I'll get 3 or 4 good full nightly backups before a failure.  The workaround for me has been to restart the BE Services on the Media Server along with the RA on the Exchange server.

I'm going to try just backing up from the Active copy for now, though.

sjrixon
Not applicable
Partner

I am also seing the same issues, we have LCR enabled.. I have just set it to backup the active version and not the passive to see if the issues go away.

I also had the same with V10. (I upgraded to 12.5 to try and fix the VSS errors)