cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE12D having problems with 1/8 G2 Autoloader (LTO4)

it_wasn_t_me_it
Level 4

I setup this device recently (past month) and then installed BE12d and performed patch update. Everything seemed to work ok and i've have a few successful backups but today I removed all the tapes from the loader and then placed 6 new tapes and 2 "cycle" tapes into the loader (LTO3 tapes).

When I ran a inventory in BE an error occurred and put the autoloader into offline mode. (error code E000E005)

I enabled it again and ran the inventory on BE12d and again it failed.

When I run an inventory on each drive one by one in BE12D it worked fine and I done a quick erase on the two "cycle" tapes and no errors were reported.

I ran a full inventory again and it completed ok. Can someone explain why it only fails when checking the whole library after the tapes have been changed? This worked fine last week so i'm don't think its a driver or bug issue.

1 REPLY 1

Vishal_Shinde
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

This behavior is normally observed when incompatible media is used or drive is having issues reading the media, please try following steps:

• Try running inventory on one media and simultaneously run the tracer Utility.

This utility can be used to troubleshoot suspected tape hardware issues in the Backup Exec environment. The SCSI trace utility is useful when it is necessary to determine the specific cause of a hardware error as it gathers information at the SCSI level with specific sense codes, the information gathered by the SCSI trace utility can then be used by Hardware Vendor or Symantec Technical Services to narrow down the cause of a particular problem.

To start Tracer:

1. Locate and run Tracer.exe.

NOTE: By default this is located in \Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Tracer.exe.

2. Get Backup Exec as close to the point of the suspected hardware problem as is practical.

3. Press the green Start Trace button in Tracer.

4. Wait for the hardware problem to occur.

5. Press the red Stop Trace button in Tracer.

6. Use the File/Save As menu option in Tracer to save the SCSI trace to a location you can find.

You may save the file in text format and paste it in the post.

Message Edited by Vishal Shinde on 09-06-2008 03:51 PM