cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE15 SQL 2012 - New Database Location for BEDB - failed to access the registry key

jerkens
Level 3

Hey,

i would like to change the location for the BEDB from one SQL to another...

I have a BE 15 Server (only BE installed) and a seperate SQL Server 2012 (both on W2k12)

I did a backup of the BEDB, transfer it to another SQL Server and restored it.

Now i am using BEUtility to change the Database Location

Trying to access the new Instance

and get an error message:

FAILED TO ACCESS THE REGISTRY KEY OF THE SELECTED SERVER 'SERVERNAMEXXX" to get the SQL SERVER VERSION NUMBER.

I read in different cases, that i have to add something to HKLM in Registry in the Symantec folder, but there is no Symantec installed on SERVERNAMEXXX... i only want to change the location of the BEDB from one SQL to another SQL Server instance...

Thanks! Cheers,

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

With your present configuration, have you thought about how to recover your media server in the event that your data centre got wiped out and you have to start afresh?

View solution in original post

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

SQL Express locally installed works very well and is recommended by Veritas.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Any specific reason for not using the default SQL instance & choosing a remote SQL instance instead ?

Would recommend a read at this blog as well - https://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/using-custom-sql-instance-backup-exec-installs?cid=11456121#comment-11456121

If there is a definite business requirement for moving over the SQL instance to a remote server, please check/advise the following - 

1) Do not keep the new instance name as BKUPEXEC

2) Are remote connection protocols such as Named Pipes, TCP/IP enabled at the remote SQL server ?

3) Does the BE logon account have full permissions on the SQL registry hive at the remote SQL server ?

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Follow the TN below and see if this helps you:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH37752

Also, it's recommended to use SQL Express that BE ships with to get the BEDB installed on.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

With your present configuration, have you thought about how to recover your media server in the event that your data centre got wiped out and you have to start afresh?

jerkens
Level 3
hey CraigV this is the original link which I used to do it, so I know it, but it doesn't solve my problem. I got this error, I will move the BEDB from one SQL Instance to another, without SQL Express, or do I need SQL Express also installed on the BE server? It is searching for the SYMANTEC folder in the registry on the SQL Server, but... of course... there is no Symantec folder, and I don't want to install an agent on the SQL Server ;) I have no idea how I can go on...

CraigV

SQL Express locally installed works very well and is recommended by Veritas.

Thanks!

jerkens
Level 3

i dont see the idea behind that...

SQL Express installing on the BE Server? why should it solve my problem?

he is searching for a BE instance on the seperate SQL server...

not for another SQL instance...

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Any specific reason for not using the default SQL instance & choosing a remote SQL instance instead ?

Would recommend a read at this blog as well - https://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/using-custom-sql-instance-backup-exec-installs?cid=11456121#comment-11456121

If there is a definite business requirement for moving over the SQL instance to a remote server, please check/advise the following - 

1) Do not keep the new instance name as BKUPEXEC

2) Are remote connection protocols such as Named Pipes, TCP/IP enabled at the remote SQL server ?

3) Does the BE logon account have full permissions on the SQL registry hive at the remote SQL server ?