cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 - Exchange Backup fails: Error occured while creating or accessing a directory.

Rune_Sk_ien
Level 3

Hey guys,

Im having trouble with our Exchange Backup (GRT Enabled) running on BE2010 rev 2896.
The job can run fine for a few days, then it fails with the following error:

Final error: 0xe0001203 - An error occurred while creating or accessing the directory specified for this operation. Check to make sure that the B2D folder and/or the temporary path specified for this operation are valid.
Final error category: Resource Errors

V-79-57344-4611 - An error occurred creating or accessing the directory \\.pdvfs\<BE-SERVERNAME>\2\BEData specified for this operation. Ensure that the directory is accessible and can be written to.

I am backing up three servers, and it fails on all of them. The errorlog provides a link, but that only refers to a restore problem. It also states that the problem was fixed in BE v12.
I have checked that all temp-folders exist and can be reached. The backup destination is a dedupe folder on a iscsi san. But i can browse through the iscsi disk without problems.
I've tried to both disable/enable the b2d folder, and restarted the BE server.

Any ideas where the problem lays?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Robert_Cullen
Level 3

I think I've found a solution to this issue.

It turns out that I needed to configure the BE Agent on my vSphere Centre server as a Deduplication server. The option is under Devices, right click the backup media server and select Configure Remote Agent for Deduplication.

After configuring this and restarting the services I can successfully backup. I guess only time will tell if this is the resolution to the issue but so far so good.

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51

Martin_Forster1
Level 5

HI i have the same problem for all grt based backups to the deduplication folder.
However they work flawless to a traditioinal B2D Folder.
In my case the failure seems to occur after the first try to duplicate the data to tape.

I have a open case with symantec for that issue.

Regards

Rune_Sk_ien
Level 3

Event viewer shows the following:

Event ID: 50000
Source: PDVFS
Level: Error

An error occurred in the PDVFS driver: <ERR> PdvfsGetDsidNTAclStr: pdvfs_get_nt_sdo_str for /<BE-SERVERNAME>/2/BEData/IMG000423/esent.dll failed

Martin_Forster1
Level 5
i have a different failure:
An error occurred in the PDVFS driver: <ERR> PdvfsOpendir: failed errno=2

my call was transferred to the 2nd level support 1,5 hours ago, im waiting for my callback.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I would suggest with starting to troubleshoot by upgrading to the latest patches. Once done try the backup job again...

dominikD
Level 3
exactly the same problem here for all grt based backups to the deduplication folder. Did you get an answer from symantec?

Rune_Sk_ien
Level 3
Sorry for late feedback. I havent gotten any closer to the solution. There seems to be so much errors, that im giving up using dedupe. Restores failes 80% of the time, and backup works ok for a few days before the errors occurs.

I have a 8tb iscsi san for backup, but i think i'll go back to using regular b2d folders. Maybe the dedupe will function better later, after a few updates :)

Im checking for new updates in BE every day, so my system is up to date. I have also reinstalled the entire system, but still all errors appear.

ruddj
Not applicable
We are experincing the same problem. Backups Windows shares fines, but constantly fails on Exchange backups to GRT.

V-79-57344-4611 - An error occurred creating or accessing the directory \\.pdvfs\Backup\2\BEData specified for this operation. Ensure that the directory is accessible and can be written to.

It also floods the event log with: An error occurred in the PDVFS driver: <ERR> PdvfsOpendir: failed errno=2
Often getting around 5 posts / minute

Please let us know if you get it working.

Martin_Forster1
Level 5

Hi,

after speaking to a duty manager i managed to get hold of a technican .
My call was stalled in America for a week. No answers, to email and voicemail.

However this technican confirmed two bugs which i experience.

GRT to Dedupe doesnt work.
Dedupe creates to may empty OST---- Medias. ( i have around 15000 of them )
a file restore from dedupe fails. When you disable the fast restore feature in the registry, it works, but it took me nearly 3 hours for 10KB file.

But a hotfix has already passed testing, and is now in the packaging phase, so stay tuned, he will hopefully arrive shortly.

Regards

maho
Not applicable
Employee Accredited Certified
It solves a lot of dedup issues for BE. I do not believe it is posted to Live Update yet, but you can get it from here: http://support.veritas.com/docs/348518

Regards

dominikD
Level 3
I have applied the patches yesterday. Unfortunately we have the issues as before with our Exchange Backup (GRT enabled).

V-79-57344-4611 - An error occurred creating or accessing the directory \\.pdvfs\servername\2\BEData...

T35216
Level 4
Partner
Hi All,
I have also installed the Hotfix and no  joy, I suspect the issue is with the combination of dedupe and GRT, my GRT jobs are stalling when running to a dedupe storage folder on an ISCSI device.  Just before the job runs into trouble I note the job status is "loading media" .  The server is a dual quad core box with 8GB of Ram.  But the intensive processing going on between the spoold process is really kicking the crap out of the box.   I suspect this is a known issue and once again we have become the R&D department.
Can someone from Symantec comment here please?

maqjack
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Hi All,

Even i have the same issue for which i have not got any solution so far after rasing the ticket with symantec for more than 15-20 days.

Even though the server is up to date in terms of Symantec BackupExec all the three latest HF

So far there is lot of R & D which has already done. The backup works for the firs time after a reboot of the server for Exchange and AD with GRT.

After the first backup is finshed, at the next schedule the backup fails with the following error.

An error occurred while creating or accessing the directory specified for this operation. Check to make sure that the B2D folder and/or the temporary path specified for this operation are valid.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-4611

When backup has configured with De-Duplication device why is it showing B2D Device error.

There is some issue with the PDVFS where i get lot of error in the event viewer

Source: PDVFS
Event ID 50000

I any one gets the solution kindly update

Thanks

Maqjack

Martin_Forster1
Level 5

Hello Folks,

recently a update was published to liveupdate with the number 348518.
with this update and a complete remove and recreate of the dedupe store i archived a good success so far.
i have done 1 full and 2 Workset backups of my file server.
and 3 full backups of my exchange Information Store and Active Directory with GRT enabled.

I have done parrallel GRT and non GRT Backups to the dedupe store successfully.
I haven't got thousand of empty OST medias so far.
Im able to do email restores from the dedupe device.
However file restores from the dedupe device still need the Fast File Restore set to 0, and took very long to complete.
With fast file Restore 1 i got the error
An unknown error occurred on device "B2D_Dedupe:2". V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.

Kind Regards

Martin_Forster1
Level 5

hi sorry,

but it worked only one time.
After the 2nd Backup i got the

error again ....

FischerRoman
Level 3
Partner
we have the same issues here, after applying all recent hotfixes.

also the dedup store went currupt again last friday night, support got tons of logfiles (including dedup logs) - but no reply yet.
even after some escalations to the duty manager by symantec austria sales.

i'll keep you up to date with this, when we get a solution/workaround/hotfix..

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

If any of this has helped, can you close it off please?

joup
Level 2
Partner
I don't think this is fixed, been struggeling with the same problems for weeks.

My server-side GRT backups fails almost everytime with different errors and usually ALOT of events like this in the event log (like 30 every minute until I reboot server)

Log Name:      Application
Source:        PDVFS
Date:          2010-06-01 09:16:57
Event ID:      50000
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      backupserver.domain.local
Description:

Errors I get from Backup Exec 2010 when the jobs fails are usually like

"V-79-57344-33858 - A memory allocation request failed. The computer may be running low on virtual memory."

OR

"V-79-57344-4611 - An error occurred creating or accessing the directory \\.pdvfs\BACKUPSERVER\2\BEData specified for this operation. Ensure that the directory is accessible and can be written to."  

If I reboot the backup server, I can usually get one or two GTR-backups through successfully, and then the same error starts again. The only thing the lastest hotfix seems to have fixed is that there is not longer creating tons and tons of "empty media" in the deduplication volume. But the errors still exists.

Normal file backup and SQL backup works fine to the deduplication folder. It's only GRT that throws these errors (Active Directory and Exchange 2007 SP2).

Got my Backup Exec 2010 with all availble patches running on a Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64 with 8 GBs of RAM and about 2,5 TB deduplication data (ISCSI).

dominikD
Level 3
any news on this????!!!!

Gavin_Tam
Level 3

Can someone from Symantec support reply on this??!?

We want to know when will the hot-fix for this issue will be released.

Our environment is to backup Exchange 2010, AD on Windows 2008 R2 to Dedup folder with GRT enabled. This PDVFS error will be generated in hunderd throusands times in system event logs during backup. Backup server is having 16GB memory, and dedup folder has about 2TB.

Already applied latest patches.....