cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2010 on W2k8R2 64bits "VFF Open Failure. This can be caused by low memory or disk resources"

jzondervan
Level 4

Hello,

On a Windows 2008 R2 (64bits) server, with BE2010 installed (fully patched) we (sometimes) receive the following errors and the backup fails on the GRT backup of our Exchange 2007 Sp1 server:

Final error: 0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors  

Backup- \\DC01\Microsoft Information Store\Public Folder Database 1822125468
V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified opti...

The server has 12Gb of memory with enough memory available during the backup. Also, both the C- and D-volume of the server each have more then 15Gb of free disk space, so I can't imagine the problem is with either memory or disk space.

DB backup of Exchange has no problems. I of course searched for this error on the symantec support site, but all posted solutions mention a 32bit environment, while ours is 64bit.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Jasper

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jzondervan
Level 4

Update: The backup succeeded last night withouth problems, after changing:

Key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile
Value: VFF Extended Timeout
Type: DWORD
I set the value to 240. 

I also excluded the BE processes from the real time virusscan.

However, I'll be watching the backup closely for the next days since it sometimes runs with no problems, and sometimes fails... :p

Regards,
Jasper

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Jasper,

Are you running a live virus scan on your BE services during your backup run? If so, disable the scanning of these processes and check again.

Thanks!

jzondervan
Level 4

Hey Craig,

I'll try to exclude the BE processes from the real-time scanner (Norman) and let you know how it goes.

Jasper

jzondervan
Level 4

Update: The backup succeeded last night withouth problems, after changing:

Key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile
Value: VFF Extended Timeout
Type: DWORD
I set the value to 240. 

I also excluded the BE processes from the real time virusscan.

However, I'll be watching the backup closely for the next days since it sometimes runs with no problems, and sometimes fails... :p

Regards,
Jasper