cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 - Dedupe error - Read / Write error

mikedoh
Level 3

HI All,

I have a lot of jobs running fine but when backing up one server it lost connectivity. While Performing a Full backup again of the physical server to our dedupe drive we encounter the following error :

Error reported:

No more data is on the tape.
V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred.
V-79-57344-33861 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

Storage device "Dedupe Drive:1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported:
0x17
V-79-57344-34028 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.
If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.
If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly. Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem. You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

The dedupe drive has 2 TBs of data free left on it (of 3TB). so is not full, when i run an invent i get a failed job with reason :

Final error category: Backup Device Errors
Completed status: Failed

Going further into the log i get in red :

OST00000358-44ACC38DF63DF71E

OST00000358-44ACC38DF63DF71E

0xe000e006

Dedupe Drive:2

OST00000363-44ACC38DF63DF71E

OST00000363-44ACC38DF63DF71E

0xe000e006

Dedupe Drive:2

How can I remove these “corrupt” media as they wont invent. And is this the cause of our backup problems. All other servers are bakcing up fine.

Thanks

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

There is no "Media" to view from the dedupe drive.

Backup set = media when it comes to on disk media in BE 2012. If the backup set spans multiple media and the set is deleted, all the media for the set is deleted. There is no appending to disk media anymore.

When Data Lifecycle Management (DLM) receives a call to perform a delete on a backup set, the media associated with the backup set is deleted.

Once the set has been deleted from the Backup Exec user interface, they are gone and DLM will finish cleaning up at its next scheduled maintenance run.

For dedupe, because the "media" isn't directly available from the hard drive, it may appear that no space will be reclaimed.

With dedupe, the deletes received by DLM are logged in the queue for dedupe to process at its next scheduled maintenance time. Then garabage collection will complete the cleanup process at the begining of the following week on Sunday.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Have you isolated the cause for the network errors that are leaving these media corrupted?

mikedoh
Level 3

Funny enough, with the latest backup exec 2012 fixes (and new client rolled out) the errors went away and the server can now backup fine.

I STILL cant invent though as the media is corrupt from the previous jobs and i have no idea how to delete media sets, if i delete the backup set it still doesnt delete the "media" on the dedupe drive.

Any ideas?

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

There is no "Media" to view from the dedupe drive.

Backup set = media when it comes to on disk media in BE 2012. If the backup set spans multiple media and the set is deleted, all the media for the set is deleted. There is no appending to disk media anymore.

When Data Lifecycle Management (DLM) receives a call to perform a delete on a backup set, the media associated with the backup set is deleted.

Once the set has been deleted from the Backup Exec user interface, they are gone and DLM will finish cleaning up at its next scheduled maintenance run.

For dedupe, because the "media" isn't directly available from the hard drive, it may appear that no space will be reclaimed.

With dedupe, the deletes received by DLM are logged in the queue for dedupe to process at its next scheduled maintenance time. Then garabage collection will complete the cleanup process at the begining of the following week on Sunday.