Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Device and Media Service failed with Error 1053

Arvin_MISPL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi everyone,

The system could not start Backup Exec Device and Media Service service on Local Computer after a clean install. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. The KB TECH64670 didn't help  as the DB is online. Please assist.

OS Platform: Win Server 2K3 R2 x64 SP2
BE version: 2012 SP1
SQL DB: 2005 Express

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Arvin_MISPL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I tried to add System DSN but end up with error 193. I launched SP2 installation again and restarted the machine, everything works well after that.

Thanks for your help guys!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

If this is fresh install , Then SQL is install on same Media server or it is installed on remote computer. Also I presume you have restarted the computer once after doing Fresh install of BE 2012

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Windows Services and make sure that the BE SQL instance (BACKUPEXEC) is started, then start each of the BE services manually.  If there is any failure, look at the eventlog to see what is the error.

Arvin_MISPL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I've restarted the server after installation and the SQL server is located on the same server which uses the instance BKUPEXEC. FYI, the server has SQL 2005 Standard which is used for another application. I've also tried placing using the SQL 2005 Std DB but the result is the same.

This server also has 2 NIC connecting to different subnets which I believe should not give any issue.

Arvin_MISPL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

The BKUPEXEC SQL service is started automatically and no errors. But the BE Device & Media Service service fails.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

In this case go to command prompt & then go to dir were backup-exec is installed. Once you be there like Cd:/C-program files-symantec-backupexec.

Please enter pvlsvr --console >c:/devicelog.txt & check for the error there.

Thanks

Arvin_MISPL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I've tried to enter C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec>pvlsvr.exe -console but it pops up an error as follow:

Title: pvlsvr.exe - Unable to locate component
This application has failed to start because odbcbcp.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Could this be the problem?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What is the error in the Windows eventlog?

Arvin_MISPL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Only information event logged:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date:  7/23/2012
Time:  9:46:28 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: .......
Description:
Application popup: pvlsvr.exe - Unable To Locate Component : This application has failed to start because odbcbcp.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Yes if you search for that DLL(in system32) , if present please try to register it  REGSVR32 %windir%\system32\odbcbcp.dll  & if it is missing please try doing repair or else uninstall it completely as it is frsh install & then grab the copy of new media which is BE 2012 sp1 ISO & then install it back. It should work fine, Let me know the updates

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Add/Remove programs, click on BE and then repair it.

Arvin_MISPL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Thanks for your advise.

I've restored the corrupted DLL file but now it seems to be another issue. The issue is as KB TECH64081. I've tried the solution by fixing the MDAC and performed UDL Test (test successful) but I'm still getting ERROR_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST in event viewer.

The only thing left now is BE 2010 SP1 repair and OS SP2 repair.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

In this case in SQL studio do you see bedb in databases when you connect using bkupexec instance , if you have not tried that please open sql studio, then connect to bkupexec instance , once done please see if bedb is attached to corect mdf & ldf files. If you don't see bedb listed under databases please right click on databases to click on attach & give the location of your mdf & ldf file for backupexec under C-program files-symantec- backup exec- data folder.

If this doesn't work you can remove backup exec completely & repair the OS & then try installing Backup exec again

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

SQL Express does not come with SQL Studio.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

I have not mention SQL studio comes with SQL express , If OP have SQL studio he can use to connect to bkupexec instance if not he can download it & install it

Thanks

Arvin_MISPL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I tried to add System DSN but end up with error 193. I launched SP2 installation again and restarted the machine, everything works well after that.

Thanks for your help guys!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi, There is no sp2 yet for BE2012, and your above comment mention you tried reinstalling sp2 help to fix the issue. So not sure what is the exact solution here? Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

SP2 for WIndows, or SP1 (with a typo) for BE 2012...wink

Arvin_MISPL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Sorry for the ambiguous word. I meant the Win 2K3 SP2.