cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 Scratch media used for backup set

djr357
Level 4

I have a tape inserted for tonights job that is marked as "Scratch Media". The properties of "Scratch Media" are "Overwritable, Not Appendable". Will I run into trouble if my first backup job is set to "Overwrite media" but subsequent backups jobs sceduled to run after that one completes are marked as "Appened if available, terminate is no append is available"?

I dont want my first backup job to run but then the second thru 5th are suspended becasue the media wont append.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If BE uses a scratch tape, that tape inherits the properties of the media set being targetted.

As long as the Append/OPP settings are correct for the media set and there is space available on the tape, then the jobs should append.

THanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

If BE uses a scratch tape, that tape inherits the properties of the media set being targetted.

As long as the Append/OPP settings are correct for the media set and there is space available on the tape, then the jobs should append.

THanks!

djr357
Level 4

please see

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/be2012-no-appendable-media-error-its-new-tape

This has to do with what I was looking at before. Does this mean the first time around I MUST over write it? Then it takes on the properties of the media set and everything should be good from the second job on out?

CraigV

...there is no way to append to Scratch media. It has to be overwritten in order to take on the properties of the media set targetted in a particular job.

Thanks!