cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 can use Ext-HDD 3TB?

Vecente
Level 4

I want to backup server by BE2012and I want to know.

Can I backup data to USB Ext-HDD 3TB (backup storage) that covert to GPT drive or not ?

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. GPT is not supported.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...format the drive without GPT and it should be fine.

TO confirm that it is (after formatting!), you can download & run b2dtest.exe against the drive that will let you know if the HDD is compatible.

THanks!

Vecente
Level 4

Thank you for reply.

But my backup server installed OS windows 2003 SP2

It can found Ext-HDD 3TB with out covert to GPT ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE may be able to recognise your GPT disks, but if you back up to them, you are likely to get an error.

Re-partition your disk into two partitions.  They should not be greater than 2TB and then re-format them.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...mmm...not sure this will work, but try creating 2 partitions on the drive. See if this gets around the GPT...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Can the OP please confirm do you want to use this GPT disk as a Backup Target, or are you intending backing up from this USB disk?

Reason for question is I suspect we have not even thought to test a GPT disk as a Backup Target.

Also If you are backing up from this disk that I am not sure that GPT is unsupported as a file system backup, it is unsupported for VMware GRT backups - as such if backing up FROM GPT then please confirm what sort of backup you are running.

Vecente
Level 4

My system have

1. VM Host Run ESXi4.0

• VM Guest 1 - Mail Server - MS Exchange
  • VM Guest 2 - File Server

2. Database Server (Physical Server) - MS SQL

3. Backup Server (Physical Server) - OS Windows2003 SP2 and Install BE2012

I want to backup VM Guest 1, VM Guest 2 and Database server

to Ex-HDD that connect to Backup Server by USB cable and Capacity of is 3 TB (RAID1)

I'm not sure nomally windows 2003 can see HDD that more than 2 TB but from this link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463524.aspx#ELB

If convert to GPT drive, windows 2003 can found it

I want to know BE2012 can use GPT Drive like a backup Storage or not?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

ok so now you need to use b2dtest.exe (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH69107) on that USB drive and/or test a backup job with GRT enabled to it to see what the results are.