Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Incremental Backup Issue

Juzer_Ibrahim
Level 2
Accredited

Dear ,

I have installed Backup Exec 2010 R3 and installed the agents on the Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server. we are taking the backup of the DAG and it has two mailbox database.

The public folder databases are created on the individual servers and of the public folder is responsible for OAB distribution.

There is a policy created to take the full and incremental backup of the DAG with GRT enabled. The issue is that after the full weekly backup and two incremental backups, the third incremental backup fails.

The logs provided by the backup exec shows that it fails on the public folder(OAB) database incremental backup with different errors like :

• The logs could not be found
  • There was no full backup taken for the database or it has been taken by other products.

I am not able to understand the exact reason of the failure of the public folder database incremental backup failure.

Is it wise to do incremental backup for the public folder database?

Kindly let me know what could be done to solve this issue.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Juzer Ibrahim

9 REPLIES 9

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please provide the exact error from the Job log so that right suggestions would be provided....

Thanks,

-Sush...

Juzer_Ibrahim
Level 2
Accredited

Below is one of the error which i have got :

Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-915

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

What is the exact error message you are running? Are you sure that no Exchange maintenance tasks are running at the same time as the 3rd INCR run?

THanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

If only incremental backup is failing & full backup is working fine please check link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186423

Thanks

RSingh1
Level 2

Hi,,

Please follow the below link this may solve your Incremental backup Problem

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH147536&actp=search&viewlocale=en_...

Juzer_Ibrahim
Level 2
Accredited

Dear Singh,

I am using exchange 2010 and the product installed is Backup Exec 2010 R3. The article which you have sent is for exchange 2003 and Backup exec 2010 R2.

So i believe that hotfix will already be part of 2010 R3 right ?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Yes as you are on higher build which is BE 2010 r3 that hotfix is of no use for you.

Thanks

Juzer_Ibrahim
Level 2
Accredited

This is one of the error i get when i check the public folder backup failure

Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options.  The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file:  '-528 The current log file is missing. '

rendersr
Level 5
Partner Accredited

What are your settings for Microsoft Exchange in the backup job? As a test, disable the GRT for Microsoft Exchange.. Also check if your mailbox databases are consistent by executing an eseutil command.

Does the job write anything to tape or disk? Or does it instantly fail without data transfer?