cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012 crashes in serdll.dll as soon as a backup starts after SP1 upgrade

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

We have a small Backup Exec 2012 installation which did work fine so far. Today we received "Service Pack 1 for Backup Exec 2012" through LiveUpdate and installed it. Now, every time I try to run a backup, the service crashes:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          04.06.2012 08:26:10
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      
Description:
Application: beserver.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 0000000072E84335

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          04.06.2012 08:26:11
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      
Description:
Faulting application name: beserver.exe, version: 14.0.1798.105, time stamp: 0x4fa3de95
Faulting module name: serdll.dll, version: 14.0.1798.503, time stamp: 0x4fc09f1f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000014335
Faulting process id: 0xba8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd421a05fa99ec
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\serdll.dll
Report Id: 2cbb0a23-ae0e-11e1-858f-047d7b44d55b

I rebooted the server, but it did not help. As soon as I start any backup (to disk or to tape, full or diff), the above errors occur. The server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with latest patches and Symantec drivers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Indeed its a Known Issue and here is the right technote specifically for BE 2012 SP1.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190313 : Beserver Service crashing when a Job is run after Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1 is Installed

Don't forget to subscribe to this technote so that any progress on this issue will be notified to you.

(Note: Try to open the technote some time later as its not opening at this moment due to some issue)

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This could be this know problem

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186713

You should log a formal support case for Symantec to investigate.

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

But this case refers to BE 2010. Also it speaks of "intermittent" crashes, which is not really what I am experiencing. My service crashes the very moment I click OK in the "Run now" dialog.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you reboot after applying SP1 ?

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Yes, see above. I wrote "I rebooted the server".

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Stephan,

My suggestion would be to uninstall SP1 for BE2012...this was the change (known!) that caused your backups to crash.

Once done, run a backup job (it can be a small one) and se if that crashes BE again. If not, consider reapplying SP1.

Another thing to check is your AV...make sure it isn't scanning BE services for some reason now. AVs can cause BE services to be blocked, causing BE to crash as a result.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What I am saying is that it could be a re-emergence of an old known problem.  The correct thing to do is to log a formal support case for Symantec to investigate.

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Thanks - I wasn't aware that Service Packs can be uninstalled. 

Uninstalled SP1 and it is working again. Now I will perform a full backup first before investigating further.

enricozocca
Not applicable

Hi all,

i've a similar issue after upgrading (this morning) to sp1.

beserver crashed randomly when i run job or when I check job log.

It's similar because it crash on ntdll.dll library, but this issue appear only this morning after sp1.

Faulting application name: beserver.exe, version: 14.0.1798.105, time stamp: 0x4fa3de95
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7c8f9
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c40f2
Faulting process id: 0x12bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd4237d40eef44
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 3259a04a-ae2c-11e1-8b40-e41f13d60ac2

Regards.

Enrico

placki
Level 2

Hi,

did you update remote agents after applying SP1 ?

If yes did you uninstall them after removing SP1 from BE server ?

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Indeed its a Known Issue and here is the right technote specifically for BE 2012 SP1.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190313 : Beserver Service crashing when a Job is run after Backup Exec 2012 Service Pack 1 is Installed

Don't forget to subscribe to this technote so that any progress on this issue will be notified to you.

(Note: Try to open the technote some time later as its not opening at this moment due to some issue)

Thanks,

-Sush...

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Thanks!

Vygandas
Not applicable

I have exactly same issue after today SP1 update to Beckup Exec server and agents. All backup jobs fails and when starting a job, Backup Exec service crashes with same log events as in the Stephan's post.

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Unfortunately the KB article is still not available ... looks like it's protected for internal use or so ...

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Still:

The URL you've tried isn't returning content. There are two possibilities: 

• There is no article associated with this URL. Try searching our Knowledge Base.

• The article is protected and requires you to be signed into an authorized account to read it.

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

Now it's there and says

This issue may be resolved by way of a patch or hotfix in current or future revisions of the software. However, this particular issue is not currently scheduled for any release

So, should I still open a support case?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...open the case. The more the better. And check for this issue on the Known Issues section. If it is listed, vote it up!

stephan_vanheld
Level 5

This has now been fixed. Uninstalled SP1, waited for SP1a and now installed SP1a.