cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2012SP2 / Exchange Backup: -1032 The file cannot be accessed because the file is locked or in use. (E00000395)

ithFrederic
Level 2

Hi

This is a fairly new implementation of BE2012 SP2 -- no upgrades (apart from SP1->SP1a->SP2).

When doing Exchange backups, this is the error.

This happens on ALL Exchange servers -- meaning both 2007 and 2010 on various OS's (WS 2003, 2008, 2008R2).

I found a very very helpful article with a hotfix! For a previous version :D

I tried to exclude the folder "C:\Temp\Backup Exec" from virus scanner on the Exchange server, the folder containing the Exchange db & logs is excluded as well. The backup exec server is not running a virusscanner.

Please help as I've been pulling my hair out on this one..

Thanks a lot!!

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  Are you backing up to tape or to disk?

EDIT:  If disk please exclude the IMG folder from any virus scan.

ithFrederic
Level 2

Hi Imosla

Thanks for the hint. B2D all the way; tape backup is the second phase for when all issues are straightened.

However, there is no virusscanner on the BE server, at all.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited
On the Exchange server

From the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For 

Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Exchange

Right click and add a new String Value, "OnHostTemp".

Right click and set the value of OnHostTemp to "C:\Temp".

Restart all Backup Exec service on Media server and the Backup Exec Remote Agent service on the
Exchange Server. Run the backup job of Exchange Resources from media server. 

Ref:
'Though the technote does not applies to the BE version you can on you can try it out.

lmosla
Level 6

Check the drive where the b2d's are located for fragmentation. I've seen fragmentation cause this type of error and a defrag resolves it.  

In addition if there are multiple databases being backed up in the jobs try seperating them and create a new b2d to see if that helps.

MusSeth
Level 6
Employee Accredited
In addition to kunal please make sure to have backup exec logon account full control on c:\temp directory... If the permissions on this folder is not set properly, then the backup may still fail with the above error

ithFrederic
Level 2

Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

OnHostTemp: Didn't try it yet as it worked in the beginning and only started failing after a few weeks. Will try it out, however it would be strange.

Permissions: I did check it; however, logon account is domain admin in all instances.

My tests will probably be for Friday. Thanks again, will keep you updated!

lmosla
Level 6

You could also try running a backup without GRT enabled.

and check Windows Events during the time of the backup for errors.

okay_
Level 2

Hi all,

the same problems for me.

Created new B2D-Folder (so defrag is not the problem): Error 1032.

Backup to Dedup: Error 1032.

Backup without GRT is fine, but this is not an option for my company.

OnHostTemp brings also the Error 1032.

So I hope there is anyboy who can help me with this problem.

Kind Regards

Oliver