cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014, Exch2013 & Archiving

BackupDawg
Level 4

Hi all, I have a high level technical question for you re BE2014, Exch2013 and its inbuilt archiving.

I have been asked to suggest a retention policy for our new Exch env. I have gone back to the buiness and asked for retention times/rpo/rtos etc, but in the meantime I'd like to get a better understanding of how these products should hang together.

• My Backup env is BE2014 with Exch agents on W2K12R2, with 1TB of storage and then 2xLTO6, all HP kit.
  • The Exchange is W2k12R2 with Exch2013 Update 7, and will utilise the inbuilt archiving utility.
  • The Exch data is about 15TB, each Exch Storage Group is under 400GB. So I plan to use the 1TB storage as a staging area and to utilise in the event of restore.

The way I would see it working is as follows;

• Backup Exchange DBs, with a standard 5 day GFS, with a minimal retention period, say a month.
  • Then archive all email after a month and run a seperate backup of the archived items, that would run every week, with a much longer retention period that the buiness specifies (eg 7 year).

Does this sound correct? Or is their benefits from running both backups for the 7 year retention periods?

Thanks for any advice you can provide,

regards

M

0 REPLIES 0