cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEMCMD to erase backup-to-disk folders

Rob_Walker
Level 4
 I have Backup Exec 2010 R2 SP1 and I would like to erase the folders from my USB drive before my backup job starts.  One of the Symantec Command Line Utility manuals shows this command

BECMD -o118 -f{foldername} but when I run this is fails to recognize -f and throws an error.  Is this command supported in 2010 R2? 

I am not able to overwrite my media.  I have the overwrite protection at "0" hours, append protection at "0" hours and the drives still fill up.  When I took in the media pane it says "overwritable" and "not appendable". 
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

There really should be no reason to have to manually remove data that is managed by Backup Exec

From Tools\Options\Media Management  verify that Overwrite Protection is set to either FULL or PARTIAL.  Also select the option to "Use Overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media"

Then set the OPP for you media set as required.  If for instance you keep dailies for a week, set the OPP to 6 days.  If you keep your weeklies for  a month, set that OPP to 34 days, etc

Rob_Walker
Level 4

"Use Overwriteable media in the target media set before scratch media"

This setting is in Global Media Management but I have not found it.  Where do I set this?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to Tools --> Options and see below

If you don't set this option, then BE will create a new .bkf file rather than re-use a recyclable one.